Harbeth M40.1 vs. M40.2 vs. M40.2 Anniversary Edition vs. M40.3XD

Anyone have experience with the multiple iterations of big Harbeths? I'm thinking about replacing my Wilson Sasha W/P with something leaner on the top end and overall more pleasant. I like to listen at 90dB+ occasionally and want impact without fatigue. From what I've gathered, some people have found the Anniversary and XD versions a bit too analytical, less of that relaxed Harbeth sound.

Amps are ARC Ref 160M's, PrimaLuna EVO 400 preamp, Holo May KTE DAC

For context, I've lived with and LOVED Harbeth P3ESR's in another system for years. Love the midrange beauty, they've always just sounded right to me. 

audio_bidder

I owned 40.1's twice, spanning approx 8 years and also owned 40.2 Anni's for approx. 2 years.  I found the 40.2 Anni to be more transparent and balanced, but looking back, I found the 40.1's to be more enjoyable, warm and full bodied, excelling on female vocals, acoustic music, jazz and classical... never fatiguing.  If I had to pick one, I'd get the 40.1's.

i would agree with paul/@pdreher -- in my experience as well, the 40.1 to 40.2 update was a substantive change, much moreso than the ones after the 40.2 (which are largely cosmetic and marketing driven, imo, with trivial sonic impact...)

i think the t-a-s review of the 40.2 from 2017 is illuminating with its in-depth interview with alan shaw -- worth a read

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/harbeth-monitor-402-loudspeaker/

@donquichotte it seems from your assessment, I’d likely be safe with any iteration of M40.

@jjss49 i can’t thank you enough for the comprehensive comparison. I scoured forums for days and I’m glad I asked. I read in one review of the XD, that they are much more “tube friendly” than previous iterations. I was hoping to keep my ARC REF 160M’s as I do love them.

@noromance will investigate Spendor

@pdreher 40.1s sound like my kind of speaker! Would save $ too:)

@audio_bidder

I read in one review of the XD, that they are much more “tube friendly” than previous iterations.

i wouldn’t think so... the differences, if any, are minute

my sense is that alan shaw has become quite a shameless spin-meister in his old age, i must say

UPDATE! @pdreher @jjss49 

I picked up a pair of M40.1 in cherry. Not the rosewood I preferred but still nice. 

I’m loving them! They give me that familiar glorious midrange that my P3ESRs have. Vocals and acoustic instruments just make me fall in love. And there’s such authoritative bass, I’m not used to this. They’re sounding bottom heavy but that might be because my other points of reference really struggled to produce much, if any impact. 

Really appreciate all of your guidance. This is the most satisfying my system has sounded. I thought there were inherent issues with my room but now I believe my room is just fine. I’ll eventually get some 40.2 Anniversary in here and keep whichever I like more. But for now, content.