Harbeth 30.2 or Falcon Gold Badge

I started my speaker search convinced I should was going to get the Falcon Gold Badges (Madrone 50th Anniversary) been waiting for over a month, which left me too much time to think about other options. Now considering the 30.2 XDs from Harbeth. 

I wanted to get some opinions from the experts here on which you would recommend. To give you an idea of my listening habits, it's mostly classic Jazz and Blues, acoustic music. I sit about 8 feet from speakers, have a Sugden Integrated, a Rega P10, Hana Red Cart. I am auditioning Phonos stages so thats undecided.

Let's hear it!! 

jc51373

Showing 5 responses by jc51373

@deadhead1000 

Thanks for the feedback. I listen to alot of that same music so good to know you're enjoying them. I plan to add a KC62 sub to whatever smaller speaker I get. 

@ryder 

Thanks Ryder, nice to hear from a long time owner. In all the years I've been in hifi I have not owned them or quite honestly given them a critical listen. My tastes have changed over the 25 years or so in hifi and these two speaker models seem to fit the sound profile I prefer most over the past 10 years or so. I always remember Harbeth in the past sounding almost too warm, so I like that they've reengineered them to sound like a more modern speaker. Should be a nice mix. 

@yogiboy 

Yeah I considered the P3, but all the listening I did (online) loved the Falcons a bit more..I am sure I'd be happy with either as both have stellar reputations. Ill check out the video

@larryi 

Thanks, this helps, sort of validates what I am thinking as well. I am going to probably buy both and listen for a while then keep which ever I like most. The Falcons were where I started this journey but somehow got convinced the Harbeths should be listened to as well. I just need to try both in my own space.

I got a set of 30.2s had them 3 weeks before I sold them. Most boring speaker I have ever listened to, to be fare I was likely underpowering them with my Sugden amp. I wouldn't have like them either way. 

Ended up with a pair of JM Reynauds and I love them. 

@badgerdms

Safe to say you are referring to my post and safe to say you didn’t read it. No need to get defensive, every speaker you own isn’t necessarily for everyone else.

Nothing amiss since I plopped the JMRs and they sound glorious. I wouldn't be the first to accuse Harbeth of sounding boring. My system isn't a high watt A/B system, it's pure class A. So as I mentioned and you might have missed, they probably needed more power, though no other speaker I've owned including Wilsons sound as clamped as the Harbeths.