Harbeth 30.1 or 40.1

I would like to get a pair of Harbeth, and wondering if 30.1 or 40.1 is better.  My room size is about 18’ x 16’.  I currently have a pair of Spatial Audio X5 with large 12” mid range driver.  I would say I listen in low to low-medium volume for Jazz and vocals.  Is 40.1 too big for my area?  I am afraid if I am not listening to what it is supposed to sound like if I don’t turn up the volume.

however, if I buy the 30.1, is that I should get a pair of sub?  Versus for 40.1, I assumed I don’t need subs?
gte357s

Showing 16 responses by gte357s

I finally received the 40.1 yesterday and had a brief session.  The first impression is that, compared to the Spatial Audio X5, it has much more bass, including mid bass, despite that the X5 has an active subwoofer!  The X5 sounds a bit more live like, probably because of the open baffle design.  The X5 also sounds brighter with more detail.  It is both good and bad.  For some recordings, it can sound fatiguing.  The Harbeth is more warm, and does not sound harsh for those records that sound a bit harsh on the X5.  There are always trade offs.  
Back to the amp, the Almarro can drive it to my normal listening level without problem.  The volume knob is between 10-11 o’clock position.  Even my 300B amp can drive it no problem.

As you know, I never know what I missed until I try it.  But I don’t need louder, I am looking for better sound.  I think people say the bass will be improved with an amp with more power?  What about adding a preamp?  My 300B is custom built.  The schematic is originally a power amp, and I ask the builder to add two volume knobs.  So, if I use it what it originally design as, I can add a preamp.  Which way do you think will give better music?  Buying the 60W, hybrid, McIntosh MA252, or add a Supratek/Coincident preamp to my 300B?
@twoleftears I downloaded an app and finally got the number on how loud I listen to.  My max volume is around 90dB.  Average can get up to 85dB.  There is also a weighted average which I don’t really know what’s the difference, but it is much lower at 78dB.  I am at about 3.5-4 m away.  
I got a suggestion from someone that, I should leave about 20dB head room, ie. 100dB at 3.5m. Then I plug into a calculator in a web site, it turns out the following:

60W -> 94.95 dB
80W -> 96.2 dB
100W -> 97.17 dB
120W -> 97.97 dB
150W -> 98.93 dB

So, it seems your suggestion of 100-150W is spot on.  Then, it seems the only option is SS.  I am a tube guy, have switch to tube amps 8 years ago and never look back.  I am a bit hesitant to go back to SS gear.  So, my first decision need to be made is, do I get 60-80W tube amp, or 100-150W SS amp.

i read comments both ways.  Some say he try SS and don’t like it, then get a McIntosh 275 and very happy.  Some say he move to Luxman and Accuphase and they are as good as tube.

Just to add, I audition the B&W 802 with high Classe amp at the dealer many years ago, and I got the same feeling, full and nothing exciting.  Then I hear a big Maggie, and I got goose bumps.  The singer seems to just floating in front of me.  So ... just to give a sense of my listening taste.  Do you think the I will be happy with the M40.1?  If it is like the B&W, then I will avoid them, although they don’t seem like the case.
Once again, thank you for all the opinions.  Even though logically I think I should wait for the M3 to come up, But gosh, I can’t get the 40.1 out of my head!  I keep coming back to read all the comments.  I read them all three times now.  One of the reason is that the M40.1 is a local sale, and I know these speakers can be rare to come up locally.  My emotion keep telling me that if I don’t buy them now, I may not have a second chance.  
The C7 and SHL5 plus suggestions come up a couple times.  I researched on them, for some reason, they don’t speak to me.  Firstly, I don’t like their look.  Then I listen to all the sound clips I can find on the internet, and none of them speaks to me like the M30.1, and M40.1.

And the M40.2 is way out of my budget.
My speaker journey now is rather short:
B&W CDM 7 NT -> Zu Omen Def -> Spatial Audio X5

I remember the B&W sounds dull no matter how much power I throw at it, it seems I like more life-like, holographic sound.  This is why I choose Spatial with OB design.  
One more question, I hope the Harbeth, even they are not efficient, they sound different from B&Ws.  Although I can’t generalized the CDM7nt as the B&W sound, but I got similar feeling after auditorium many box, not so efficient speakers at different shops.  

Actually, nothing wrong with the Spatial X5.  But hear the Harbeth on You tube and the midrange sound can’t get away from my head.  I know the sound quality from YouTube is not good in any way, and it depends on the gear and room condition.  But still, I know I need to try them.  The videos I saw are for 30.1.  But there is a used 40.1 for sale locally, so I am wondering.  Another consideration is the price.  The 40.1 is a double of 30.1.  I also need to buy an amp.  So, I can get the 30.1 and the amp for the price of the 40.1.  The biggest concern is, I am spending the money but can’t utilize the benefit because of the constraint of room size and listen volume.
When you say the 40.1 has much deeper bass, does it need a louder volume to bring it out?  Or they are at similar volume?
@jond how would you describe the difference?  I never own a monitor speaker, all my speakers are full range speakers.  But then recently, I feel they are actually a bit too big for me.  I realize they sound better when I turn up the volume, but then it is too loud to my taste.  Is there such a thing as optimum listening volume for different speakers?
@jjss49 can you elaborate?  Honestly, don’t really know the differences.  But it seems the 30.1 and 40.1 are more popular.  I would like to be educated.

thanks.
Thanks for all the reply.  I believe the only way to find out if I will the Harbeth is to buy one and use it at home.  Although not yet audition the Harbeth, based on my past experience, it is not that useful; because the room is different, the amp, the source ... everything are different.  So, my approach is buy used, bring it home, and if it doesn’t work out, I will sell it out hopefully won’t lose too much.  
It seems now the determining factor is the price.  Not only the 40.1 is more expensive, I believe it needs a more powerful amp as well which is also more expensive.  
@mapman can you please elaborate on your experience between the Spatial and 40.2?  Which model of Spatial you hear?  Are they in different settings, different room and different equipment?  
Since the Spatial is open baffle, I hope or expect it gives a bigger sound stage and more life-like.  This is one of the reason I buy it, and it is true compared to my Zu Omen Def MK I.  The X5 has a big Air Motion Transformer for high frequency of 1k and up.  It provides more detail and sound more transparent than the Zu, but at the same time, I need to be careful about pairing equipments.  For instance, I bought a Toppings DX7 pro which also offers all the details, and I feel fatigued after an hour of listening and need to turn down the volume.  
By comparing YouTube videos and my X5, I believe the Harbeth gives warmer sound.  But I hope it also gives the same level, or a bit less, of detail and clarity.  I expect the soundstage May get smaller.  I hope the instrument separation is still good.  

Very good information, than you every one.  I always want to try McIntosh gear.  And I am planning to get the MA252 hybrid to go with the Harbeth.  The Ma252 is rated as follows:

Power Output per Channel
100 Watts into 8 Ohms
160 Watts into 4 Ohms

Maximum Output (Balanced / Unbalanced)
8V Unbalanced

i read Harbeth needs good current, but this is often not listed in the specification.  Is the MA252 good (enough) for 40.1?  Or I need the more powerful Ma352?  That goes into the total cost consideration.

@snackeyp dis you also upgrade the amp when upgrade to 40.1?  What amp did you use?
Once again, thank you very much for all the information.  To summarized all the pros and cons, logically, I should get the 30.1 and not 40.1, because:

1. For the price of 40.1, I can buy the 30.1 + McIntosh MA252.
2. I can’t afford to buy the 40.1 + MA 252 at the same time.  3. Since 30.1 is easier to drive, I can use my Almarro 318 for the interim, and that should yield better result than the 40.1.   4. The 40.1 is huge, much bigger and heavier than I thought.  I am concern to buy something so difficult to move.  And my wife won’t like it.5. 40.1 is harder to sell if it doesn’t work out.
6. 40.1 maybe too big for my listening area.
7. I listened to almost all videos I can find on Youtube, and I like the sound of 30.1 more.  It sounds more lively.  I guess it is because it is easier to drive.
8. If I want more bass for 30.1, I still have an option to add a subwoofer.
Thank you every one.  I missed that there is a page 2 so only see the comments now.

as suggested, I decided to have an audition first, but then I found out the seller is quite far away from me.  So, an audition is not preferred.  Eventually, I gave an offer and it is accepted.  So now, the fight between my left and right brain is done.  My emotion won.  =)

I will use with the Almorro for a while, until I sold my other gears.
@jtcf  thanks.  Yes, I am not planning to buy it immediately, but be prepared when something comes up in the used market.  Actually, the weakest link in my system now is the DAC, if I judge by the price.  I am using a Audio-gd NFB-3 which is an entry level DAC bought 8 yrs ago.  I originally plan to upgrade that first.  I bought a Topping dx7 pro, it is too bright for the X5 and the Bluetooth keeps dropping so I returned it.  Maybe it will match well with the Harbeth to bring some sparkles.  My Audio-gd now is a very smooth DAC.