Gryphon Mephisto

Here is an update with my Gryphon Mephisto: Connectivity was directly from my EMM LABS DV2. After some time I found it too edgy and forward. Lowering the gain on the DV2 helped, but still not to my liking. Couldn't find a Pandora anywhere. I called John at Audio Salon, (Great guy to Do business with) never had any dealings with him before. He had a Zena. I figured the Zena would give me a pretty good sonic presentation as to what to expect from the Pandora. Sure enough I knew in the first 5 minutes. Fantastic presentation, its a very good preamp. Separate PS with the Pandora, dual AC power, will only make things better. I ordered a new Pandora. Gryphon is making one. If anyone is interested in a Zena PM me. Only thing is the Pandora will take 2-3 weeks. I'll update this after the Pandora arrives. My room is huge 30 X 26 X 26H. Big A-Frame. This creates denominators that are not typical. 
jakesnak

Showing 2 responses by bob540

Reading threads like this shows me, yet again, just how vast the range of people are that are involved in higher end audio.  Ten thousand dollars for an audio system is like buying an 8 year old Miata and saying you are a sports car enthusiast.  Spending $50,000 and more just for an amp, and then maybe the same on a pre, and then God knows how much on speakers and all the other very high end equipment some of you own — Wow!  I will never be at that level, never hear what it sounds like, and probably never even see it except in photos.  

I’m not eaten up with envy — just realizing that I don’t have any knowledge or experience compared to many of you . . likely never will. I don’t post much but read a lot of the threads, trying to understand what some are referring to.  I think a lot of people that begin to consider higher-end equipment start with an expectation of spending what for them is “a lot of money”, only to realize later that 2 or 3 times that amount is just barely scratching the surface.  It’s like seeing the tip-top of an iceberg and thinking that is it, and then finding out that a gigantic mass lies below the water line.  It keeps amazing me what some people do. 
An obsession — yes!  I am no youngster myself — 66 — but I only really got interested in quality audio since early 2020.  So, a baby yet.  I can imagine if you have had nice professions and really good income over the years, you are positioned to indulge your desires.  Me, 37 years a social worker, a splurge is a new compact SUV!  Still to my family and friends, they thought I had “the nicest stereo system of anyone we know”, and that was an old Sony receiver, old Jensen loudspeakers and an old Pioneer CD changer.  I tell them, “You just have no idea what really good audio equipment is!”

Speaking of showing what you own . . . how about posting some pics of your equipment?  If I can, you can!  Lol