Gryphon Diablo 120

I’ve been running tube amps in my primary system in my living room for the past few years. When I first heard a tube amp, I was hooked, and thought they were going to be with me for life. 

However, a few months ago something shifted and I found myself not feeling engaged with the music in the same way. The music was feeling slow, distant, and lacking emotion. A voice inside told me to look into a solid state amp for a change of pace. 

I was fortunate to find a used (store demo) Gryphon Diablo 120, which arrived today. I’ve only been listening for a few hours, but over the moon happy with the sound of this integrated. It delivers a rich, detailed, nuanced and incredibly musical presentation. The sound stage is wide and engrossing. Imaging is wonderful too. I’ll continue to make observations over the next few days and report back. I think I might finally be close to getting off this audio equipment merry-go-around with this Gryphon integrated. 

For reference, I do also have a Luxman 590axii in my office and this Gryphon easily out performs it in my opinion. 

Other components in my system with the Gryphon Diablo 120: 

Innuous Zenith mkiii 
Merason DAC1 mki
Cardas Clear rca interconnect 

Speakers - QLN Prestige 3 

Power cables: 

Kimber Kable Palladian PK-10 connected to amp 
Lessloss connected to Dac 
Cardas clear connected to innuos 
Puritan 156 Conditioner with their Ultimate Cable 

128x128bluethinker

@Grisleybutter - I’ll work on it this weekend. Not sure why, but the virtual system feature hasn’t worked when I tried uploading in the past. I’ll try to get it up by end of day tomorrow! 

@zlone - Before purchasing the QLN speakers, I demoed multiple Harbeth, Proac, Triangle, Spendor, Dynaudio, Vanderstein and Coherent speakers. There are so many variables to consider from accompanying amp, room, cables, front end, etc. Aside from the Coherent speakers, all demos were in audio stores. Before I even knew about the QLN speakers, after the auditions noted above, I purchased the Dynaudio Heritage Speakers, which I still own. The Dynaudio Heritage specials are bookshelf speakers, so not quite a fair comparison with the QLN Prestige 3.

I still swap them into the system for a couple of months in the year for a change of pace. They are fantastic speakers and I don’t want to sell them. They’re wonderful, but just not as complete of a speaker as the QLN prestige 3. 

The more I have gotten into this hobby, I understand the importance of system marching. What amp would you use to drive the QLN Prestige 3? 

Thanks, it sounds like you did your homework. I would use a Coda #8 which should drive them handily. You can check out my virtual system. I am using KEF Reference One’s now and I really like them, but heard QLN’s at AXPONA this year and was smitten.

I started investing in my audio system during COVID. In retrospect, I would have done even more research, but I’m happy where I’ve ended up. I’ve researched the coda amps and have been intrigued. From what I’ve read, it seems the coda 8 would be a good pairing. 

Which version of the coda 8 do you have? I know there are three versions with one being biased more towards class A, but then being having reduced watts in 8, 4 loads. 

Which version of the coda 8 do you have? I know there are three versions with one being biased more towards class A, but then being having reduced watts in 8, 4 loads. 

I have version 1 with 18 watts of class A, and 150/300 into 8/4 ohms. Based on the meters I don’t push any limits and my speakers are pretty demanding. 

Let me know when you finally get a pair in your house. I’d be interested to hear what you think.