Green Mountain Audio

I picked up a set of Diamante's for cheap. They have trashed foam surrounds but otherwise seem fine. I plan on veneering the "marble" with a beautiful teak or rosewood- I haven't decided.The angles will look pretty cool with the right veneer. The marble is not so cool but rigid and heavy. 

Curious if some upgraded drivers would improve the sound- as apposed to re-foaming. I realize this is a shot in the dark but my understanding is Roy from GMA has passed so not sure where to get driver advice. Open to any and all suggestions.

ovinewar1

What I would love to do but won’t, is cut the top 4 inches of the speaker off, the obelisk, and make it flat. Veneering those is an absolute bear. I had every finger bandaged from razor cuts on the first one. The reason I didn’t start the second was I am rethinking the process to possibly find an easier but aesthetically attractive approach. 

And if anyone else is considering veneering over cultured marble with a variety of angles……… I wouldn’t recommend it. I have found a successful process, but it is a pain. I intentionally have let them set for a few months to see if the adherence is stable. Even the speaker cut-outs have no wiggle room so after veneering them I had to slightly turn down the holding rings by 1/32”

Carpathian, if you are curious, I probably would not have been as eager to restore had I even passingly considered  the issues I would be facing. But now that I am in… no quitting.