GREAT NEWS! The Coda Technology new #16 amplifier will arrive this week

I was just informed that Coda's brand new model #16, which is based on the latest generation of improvements used in the #8, will be arriving later this week for review for The Stereo Times website.  Since the reviews I have done on the #8 amplifier and the 07x preamplifier, I have received numerous inquires when I'll get this piece in for review.

This beast of an amplifier, over hundred pounds with one of the largest power supplies in a single chassis design on the market, delivers 100 Class A before it crosses over into A/B. The Coda #8, is in my opinion, one of the best SS amps on the market for under ten grand.  I expect, based on the run Coda is on with their new generation of gear, that the #16 will be a beautiful musical performer.  We shall see! I still find it amazing based on build quality/performance that Coda's prices are so damn reasonable.  Yes, the #16 will retail for around 12K, not inexpensive.  However, I guarantee if this amplifier was manufactured by other high-end American or European companies it would be triple the price. If the #16 takes the already superlative performance of the #8 to another level, it will be truly a "killer" of an amplifier. 

teajay

Got the CODA #16 today and listening with the IsoTek listed above. The CODA #16 is used so, broken in. 

When I heard the #16 in the past it was with a warmer preamp. It was great and the reason I wanted to buy it. However, today, connected to my neutral Benchmark LA4 preamp. This thing is at another level. A fantastic amp and one my son will inherit from me. 

I mentioned in an earlier post that it was possible using 2 preamps with the CODA #16. I sort of did that today. The CODA #16 has a button on front of the amp to toggle between XLR and RCA.

I want to run a Lumin X1 into the XLR of the CODA and use DAC direct-to-amp so that I can eliminate streaming boxes, a preamp, and a bigger rack and cables. However, I have an issue where I want a tuner in the mix for background music. Especially in the morning to wake everyone up.

I got a $50 passive volume control from Schitt Audio called the SYS. It has no power cord and takes the RCA out from my 4" x 4" Sony XDR tuner and then outputs RCA into the CODA. The SYS is the size of large wallet and has a volume control and a switch for the 2 source inputs.

The sound of this thing is really good, way better than expected. I think I am going to keep the tuner on the floor next to the amp and the SYS on top. The Lumin DAC will be about 15 feet away. Not much reflective surface area between the speakers.

That toggle switch on the FRONT of the CODA #16 is a great idea.

My analog tuners sound way better than streaming radio, which is a non-starter for me.

I was debating buying the CODA #16 or the new KRELL KSA i400 which was 5x more than the used #16. Price was a factor, but the biggest issue was the much smaller size and weight of the CODA. It also is not too bad in terms of heat, not as good in that regards as the KRELL XD lineup.

I am sharing the space with my son who uses it as a playroom.

Last thing to do now is buy the speakers.

I’m envious of everyone getting a 16.  After a few heath issues I moved to ADG Audions and am done with power amps.  The weight, heat and sound quality are excellent.  Good luck guys.  I just can’t handle the weight and heat moving forward.   Great to read how good the 16 should/ could be and I expect is.