Good Speakers for Rock and Roll Under 15K

I have nice speakers for acoustics, jazz, vocals, etc. but are not great for rock and roll.  Would welcome any recommendations for speakers that do a great job with classic rock and roll.  I will add some components in my system that might influence thinking:

New Audio Frontiers Tube Preamp, New Audio Frontiers 845 Tube Power Amp, Lampizator Atlantic DAC, Innuos Zenith Streamer, Tchernov cables.

gregjacob

Showing 3 responses by james633

I don’t think you need to chase amps, good is good enough IMO. Just get the speakers right. Dynamics/transients is the key to good rock. Just use enough power to keep your dynamics designed into the speaker.

A smooth downward sloping frequency response in room (Revel, JBL, Kef, etc) helps so bad recordings don’t bite your head off. Speakers that are flatter in room (thiel, B&W, a few I have owned) are far less enjoyable with rock.

Just a hair over budget at $16,500 (used pair on here for $8k right now) the JBL 4367 is my favorite rock speaker I have heard to date. Super dynamic with smooth treble that is easy on the ears. Great texture and impact in the bass. They could go lower and I still add subs, but I need full range bass to be happy (a personal thing). I have owned speakers I thought were good for rock but ignorance is bliss and they have been totally eclipsed by the 4367. Not just a rock speaker but simply good. 

The treble is also adjustable which makes a much bigger difference than the numbers would indicate. I am down 0.5db on the UHF.  

Measurements to back up the good impressions too. 

I think classical and rock can show how limited in dynamics at lot of speakers are as they both demand big swings in instant volume.