Good speakers for a low budget

Hi, I am helping a friend find speakers for around $600. Aesthetics are a high priority. Thank you.
imaginarynumbers
As much as I like Apogees, I would caution that they are usually hard to drive correctly and an atypical design/form.

Knowing more on the application would definitely be important in the case of recommending Apogees.
Btw, for those who are wondering what the "cleaned up" thing is all about, it just means that certain things you might have done in the "hippy days" you've let go of. While I still enjoy a little "herbal enhancement" from time to time, all the other stuff I let go of, way back in the 80s. So now you know what a "cleaneduphippy" is all about.
No, she's definitely not an audiophile. I posted the question because I was trying to provide her with suggestions other than Bose which she was actually looking at. Musically, she mostly listens to light rock, new age, pop (generally upbeat with synths), classical, and a little folk. As far as the system is concerned, this probably won't be very helpful, but there's a sony str-de895 receiver, a pioneer pd-m501 cd player, and unlabeled PSB speakers manufactured in the early 90's (I think they might be the alpha B's). She was going to replace the system component by component as she acquired the funds and was going to start with her cd player, but I suggested that she upgrade the speakers first because that generally leads to the greatest amount of improvement. I believe the receiver puts out something like 100 watts per channel and the receiver should be able to drive the speakers for the time being, although I guess the alternative is to save up and buy speakers and an integrated amp in one shot.
What a concept ... someone who buys equipment and actually holds on to it. So most likely, your friend will hold on to this equipment for another 15 years. So, she wants stuff that will sound good, look good, and last another 2 presidential elections. So, let's think systems.

I don't like buying used. I prefer to buy close-outs, look for deals, etc. If you were to look at new clearance items that Audio Advisor is offering right now, you could do the following pairings. I own or have owned this equipment at one time or another and have paired it together over the last 6 years.

NAD amp/ Energy speakers ($633)
NAD receiver/ Energy speakers ($833)

NAD amp/ NHT speakers ($950)
NAD receiver/ NHT speakers ($1150)

Cambridge Audio amp/ cd player/ Energy speakers ($933)
Cambridge Audio amp/ cd player/ NHT speakers ($1250)

The links:

1. NAD receiver at 500

2. NAD amp at 300

3. Energy speakers at 333

4. NHT speakers at 650

5. Cambridge Audio amp at 300

6. Cambridge Audio CD player at 300

Another option is to buy a $1600 pair of speakers for $800 like these Spendor 3se and gradually grow a system around them.

Best regards,

Rich
She isn't asking for recommendations on speakers that cost a few grand - just $600. There aren't that many good ones that we'd need to know what her musical preferances are.

The best speakers in the $600 class are limited in one way or another, and I doubt the different music going through them would make 'that big' of a difference. Take the Bose-they sound terrible no matter what type of music goes through them - and doubt any speaker in this range would/could play large scale classical without compormising (hy, even the Magico Minis don't do that, and they're $29,000). So, keeping it simple - how about just go with the B&W 685? Right at $600 bucks? It's like someone asking me to recommend a $200 CD player and my asking what type of music they listen to? What's the difference? I think we're just showing how stuck up our hobby can be. Someone is asking about an inexpensive speaker and we are asking the same questions as if they were buying expensive ones.