Going Tubing

Greetings!

I would like to introduce some tubes into my two channel set up.

I currently have a solid-state preamp and a solid-state power amp. (And a separate, hybrid tube phono stage.)

I am wondering, conceptually, staying with separates, if it would be better to switch the preamp to a tube preamp, or if it’s better to change the power ramp to a tube power amp. With “better” in this case I mean would have bigger impact on, for a lack of a better description, “tube sound.”

(I realize there are other considerations, such as having enough power to drive my speakers, but here I’m talking about conceptually, which part of these two audio chain components would have the most impact on the sound if switching one of them from ss to tube.)

128x128bimmerlover

Tubes???,,,With the hassle of tubes, the expense,the coloration of sound,maintenance ,,on and on...add the fact that Solid state gear has equaled if not surpassed tube gear in about everything sonically..why consider the move? 

@missioncoonery
"Opinions are like A-holes. Everybody’s got one and everyone thinks everyone else’s stinks."

I have tried to walk away from tubes many times and always wind up coming back. For some of us, there is no solid state gear to be found that can match the presentation of tubes, regardless of what the skeptics say. The only way to know is to listen for yourself.

A tube preamp with a good solid state amp is a way to go, although don't overlook the possibility of a great tube integrated, which will save you some money on cables and give you a simplified set-up. 

Have fun!

Bimmerlover,

I'd suggest starting with a tube preamp, you get a lot of the benefit without the complexity of a tube amp. I can highly recommend: Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme (1.3 or 1.4), and the BAT VK-80.....they were part of my listening journey when choosing a tube preamp a few months ago.

In the end I chose an Aric Audio Motherlode XL (I need XLR connections), but his Super 6SN7 linestage is also remarkable at around $4,000. My friend chose the BAT VK-80, and I was down to the Backert and the Aric Audio.....I chose the Aric Audio because it is 6SN7 based, and I really like Aric Kimball and his company

Post removed