Giving in to my weaknesses

Hey guys,

First of all I am an audiophile from 40 years ago and always tried to obtain the best sound and musicality from my equipment. But now I'm older (63) and my ears are not as sharp or discerning as they were 40 years ago.

I have come to the conclusion that spending thousands of dollars on separate amps and Pre/pro with outstanding DACs and the "ultimate" in sound quality is just not that important. I've destroyed my eardrums listening to beautiful music and that has cost me in the long run

Now I still listen to LZ, Floyd, and many others but just don't need the equipment that offers the nuances in sound I will never appreciate.

Looking for a mid range amp/pre amp or multi-channel receiver that will get me a good vibe for music and have the balls for movies.

Marantz has always been a favorite especially for music. Open for discussion. 

Thanks

128x128dennis714

Showing 2 responses by dennis041992

I currently use Rotel 985 preamp with a Rotel 5-channel amp driving B&W 602S2 speakers, a Paradigm center and surrounds with a SVS PSB-1000 sub.

The pre and amp are old without any current inputs or outputs. My budget is ~$5000 for new LCR speakers and avr. 

I'm thinking either a Marantz AV60 or SR6015 will be the answer to my dilemma. 

I'm looking for a compromise between HT and 2-channel music with my Rotel CD and Blu-ray. I will have only the HT setup and music in one room. I think my B&W 602s2 on homemade sand filled solid oak stands with the SVS sub will cover most of my perquisites.