Giving Advice without recommending your own equipment

I've noticed over the years that you can't ask a general question on Audiogon without getting people answering who with a specific model recommendation.  They  think the answer to every question is to just buy their model.  For example:

OP:  What is the difference between R2R and FPGA DACS.

ans 1:  I have a model x that is R2R and you should just buy it.  it is spectacular.

ans 2:  I have model y what is FPGA and it is spectacutlar.  buy it.

ans 3:  I have model z.  I don't know if it is FPGA, R2R or what, but you should buy it.

ans 4:  I have owned both.  I found the FPGA to have the following attributes..... and the R2R to be more ......  The models i owned were not exactly in the same price range so YMMV.  But my opinion is that I like ______ better.

Which of those answers sound more useful?  I'm just suggesting that your advice is more meaningful if you can refraim from recommending your latest and greatest piece of equipment.   I would totally ignore answers 1 thru 3.  Ans 4 is well thought out and give you a useful opinion.

Sometimes people ask for specific model advice from people who have heard certain models.  Of course 99.9% of the comments come from people who love their model x.  Apparently nobody ever buys something and decides it is not that great (I wonder why there is so much used equipment for sale).  But comments about specific models are appropriate then.

Just a few thoughts about how to navigate theough the forums and sort the wheat from the chaff.  there is lots of good advice here and lots of bad advice and this is more of an example of useless advice and how to avoid giving it.

Jerry

128x128carlsbad2

Good point ! interesting thanks OP ...

I generally dont recommend equipment .... I recommend to learn embeddings mechanical,electrical and acoustical controls devices and experiments.... 😊

I like my gear but some pieces are so modified i cannot recommend them ...They dont perform the same before and after modification...

The worst piece of gear i ever bought i will never mention...I will be executed on a piles of wood set in fire  so popular the brand is... 😊

People focus on chosen gear piece not on acoustics and other learnings...

My personal favourite is when the OP asks for input from members who have actually owned a specific piece of equipment.  Inevitably, someone will chime in with "well I've never heard that .......... but I can highly recommend XYZ"  Apparently many of us have trouble understanding a question?  IMHO  As an aside, I've only been following this site for a few years, but I can already guess the answers or recommendations that I will read from about a dozen members.  I'm rarely disappointed.  😆

Still I find 1, 2 and 3 better than some answers that I've seen here, so many chime in based on perception rather than real experience, but I very much do appreciate people that have heard gear and give comparisons and their opinion. 

Other people's views can be of limited use in relation to SQ but not in relation to reliability. For SQ you have to hear it yourself preferably, if at all possible, in your own listening environment.

If the person replying has been around the audiophile block a few times and then suggests a component(s), some of which they may own, I see no problem. In fact. I see it as weeding out what pairs well and what does not. I dare say that It may actually provide useful info to the op, possibly saving time and money. Of course, the op should have a listen for him/her self, albeit not always easy to accomplish nowadays.