getting into streaming

So after many years of playing cd's, I'm considering getting into streaming music. I would prefer to use the DAC in my accuphase CD player; my question is I assume any streamer would require something additional to control it (smart phone, tablet etc) but I'm wondering if there is something out there that has its own controller to use to surf for songs, so I don't have to buy anything else to use it

gwng8

You are me less than a year ago. I am very happy with a Bluesound Node hooked up to my tube integrated amp and I’m running Tidal. Unlike what most members have posted on this thread, I use my Samsung Galaxy S22+ cellphone to run Tidal and do searches, pick albums or artists, etc., and I have no problem or feel the need to use a tablet device. But that’s just personal preference -- the last thing I need is another device laying around for my Granddog to chew and eat...

Fwiw, I 100% agree with @moonwatcher here. I wanted to get a cheap streamer to get started (while I figured out what I wanted longer term). The WiiM mini has been excellent. Im using Qobuz hi-res using the optical out into my DAC and it’s great. 

I think my next purchase will be something in the the Innous range or an Auralic Auralic interests me because they prefer you to use Wi-Fi over Ethernet which is interesting. 

Easiest way to get started is to buy a Bluesound Vault. It is a High-Res 2TB Network Hard Drive CD Ripper and Streamer. Everything you need, and there are few if any better, more intuitive interfaces than BluOS.

I am in the same boat as the OP. For me it is either a new Bluesound Node 130 or a used Lumin D2. From everything I have read and absorbed it is really hard to out do the Node at $600, and you can always add a higher quality DAC and better power supply later. I also think that the BlueOS is about as easy to use and intuitive as anything else out there. I believe the Lumin would be a better sound, but it i hard wired only and the interface is less user friendly.

yes, despite some time having passed since i went through most of the starter streamers, i think the leading contenders are still

bs node (latest version)

cambridge cxn v2

innuos zen mini (used, as innous has phased this out for more expensive models)

ifi makes several models, very affordable, some with dac, some without

there is also the wiim puck... very inexpensive