Getting into Opera... need advice

I have never listened to much opera, but have lately been accidentally encountering it, and decided its time to dip my toe into the water.

I am interested in starting with something that has a very melancholy, introspective feel to it. Something slower... not too sprightly.

I guess that desire leads me to believe that I should look for a tenor, but if someone has a recording that features a female vocalist that they think would fit the bill, I will be receptive to such a suggestion.

Oh, and I have a CD-only rig. No vinyl or high resolution capabilities.

Thanks very much for the help.
niravp
Rigoletto. My very first opera. It hooked me. Should be just want you're looking for. If Pace Pace doesn't do it for you, there's no hope....pace, warren
I strongly second Rtn1's idea of getting a book. Besides the informational side, it will also be enjoyable reading.

Other than that, I would also recommend Mozart's Don Giovanni (Giulini is an easily available choice here). Not only is the musical composition great, the libretto is exciting, humourous, and haunting.
I recommend Sir Denis Forman's book a "Night at the Opera"-- it is very entertaining and has plot summaries, the authors ratings, and a discussion of the best moments from most of the major operas-- I don't think he recommends specific recordings but you can get that elsewhere once you decide what operas most interest you.
FYI...Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote songs for Sarah Brighman, because at the time she was Mrs. Andrew Lloyd Webber (no longer). That is also how she got the lead in Phantom...

While very pleasant, I don't consider her an opera singer, or Andrea Bocelli. Their voices are kind of light. Note that they both always sing into a microphone. Can you say Karaoke ??

There are recordings that have opera "highlights". They have all the favorite parts on a single CD; which saves you from spending a lot of money on a big 2 to 4 CD set. This might be a good place to start without breaking the bank. Your local library may also have some CD's you could check out...

You could also sample various soloists who put out CD's singing their favorite arias from a bunch of different operas. If you like what you hear, you can then try out the whole opera...
Another great one: Sweeney Todd by Steven Sodheim. Beautiful, brilliant, fabulous libretto/lyrics. Very user friendly for a first timer. Italian opera is the way to start out. User friendly operas are La Boheme, Aida, Madama Butterfly, La Traviata and Carmen (French). Go to the library and take them out. You'll get an idea, real quick, if this is for you. Won't cost you a cent....