Genelex Gold Lion KT-88 reissued tubes

Has anyone purchased these tubes and what are your impressions of the sound?
virgo_ref

Showing 3 responses by flyfish2002

I run a pair of Sonic Frontiers SFM-160s which each use a MQ of GL KT-88s. The amps were bought used, then shipped directly to Chris Johnson for a comprehensive check-up and his SE+ mod. The GL KT-88s were "standard" issue for the SE+ mod.

That was two years ago. Since then, I have lost three GLs on three separate occasions, each time taking with it passive parts in the amp. The most recent episode was 90 days ago. I retubed withe MQ from Chris J when I had the amp repaired (locally). So far so good, but I am getting nervous (and broke).

Chris J would like me to consider the Tung Sol KT-120. He told me that the KT-120s are more reliable, the power transformer of the SFM-160 has more than ample current reserve to handle the 0.8 A increase in filament current draw and the KT-120s can take the punishment the SFM-160 delivers.

However, though still very premature, I have received mixed and even a few negative comments on this tube.

Any comments on the KT-120? Other quality options for 6550/KT-88 amps?

Thanks.
Thanks, Newbee. I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet. These are well-built amps that with Chris' top end mod provide me with alot of enjoyment. I like the SF house sound and am on the hunt for a cream puff pair of Power 3s - fully balanced and no issues with over running tubes.
Pehare,

What is a "shuggie" from Mr. Deal?

So the GL KT-88 just didn't hold up for you as you would have expected - 4 mos is crazy. Jim McShane is purportedly one of the "good guys" in tube audio. Did you communicate back to him?

Brent