Geddes multiple subwoofer method - 3 subs vice 4

Geddes recommends 3 subs for optimal sound - a different perspective

Interesting video depicting Geddes philosophy on using subs. Also, he treats the main speakers as part of the bass solution and does not recommend using high pass filters as this takes away from the total bass capabilities of the entire speaker sub interface system. I am going to experiment this weekend. Also, a higher crossover frequency for the first sub collocated closer to the main speakers is new to me. Recommended above 100 hertz for the first sub and then incrementally lower for the 2nd and 3rd sub in an asymmetric pattern. 

I feel like the Geddes approach for sub integration closely resembles what I have been doing for years without even knowing this method. So, my 18” deep bass and 15” mid bass drivers on the field coil speakers become part of the solution instead of being taken out of the equation. That’s what I have been doing and that’s what I thought sounded best to me. Multiple ways to do sub integration but this method is the one that pretty mirrors how I have been doing it for years.

audioquest4life

Showing 6 responses by james633

“The reality is that in many cases the negative sonic effect of the DSP platform may be less than the negatives of not using delay at all or filtering the mains and creating phase issue.”

I agree with this statement. Any negative of high-passing or time alignment is greatly out weighed by the positives.   

I am going to dip my toes in a digital solution soon. I got rid of my JL subwoofers (with apologue high-pass) and ordered new subs (JTR RS1). This time around I am going to try the MiniDSP SHD for sub integration. Not sure the MiniDSP will be good enough for a long term solution for me (clean enough? Maybe?) but it will let me try different filters and what not (has its own PEQs, and Dirac too). If I like the solution I will try something more highend as money allows. The SHD is limited to two subs and I think I would like to try 4 at some point

My room is pretty large especially with the back doors open to other rooms. The room is effectively 42’ long and 26’ wide with everything open. So I don’t fight room nodes as much as others. I just like the slam of subs (no speaker can touch it) and want to digitally align them more or less.

I don’t see anyone using JTR stuff for music so it should be interesting (they have a trial period, -shipping). I just picked based on the measurements, impressive extension, overhead, and low group delay. For their measurements they were pretty “cheap”.

Rauliruegas,

A good sub is a good sub, JTR is just ugly (I have a mixed theater room, painted black, so no big deal). Not sure THD matters too much as they are all good and far out pace even the largest of speakers. Integration is most important. At any rate they have a trial period so I will see soon. 

Not really looking to debate subs, they all perform well but some data from audioholics. The E112 at 105db-ish /25hz has 25% THD and the JTR is 05% at 105db-ish. The perlisten 215 is 3% at the same volume/hz but 3 times the price. Both JTR and Perlisten are digging deep into infrasonics and should just be cruising at 60hz under 100db. Velodynes are nice subs, I have not heard one in 20 years though. 

As for digital vs apologue I think we are talking about crossovers and less so sources. If you want an all analogue system (vinyl) and want to stay that way analogue is the only option but there is not really a way to correct timing. As for digital crossover out of a digital source good implementation should be pretty transparent if everything stays digital and at least as transparent as adding all the parts in analogue options.  In my limited experience both options have been fine and it comes down to the particular piece. 

It is interesting how strongly bass affects our perception of audio. Owning the JBL 4367 I more or less agree Phusis take on them but will add my thoughts as this thread is about bass.

I have been using them with subs for the last year (60-65hz highpass) and recently got rid of my subs (sold one and gave one to a friend) in prep for new subs on order. With the subs the system as a whole is warm and impactful, I can play them very loud with no ear fatigue at all.

But without the subs the speakers seem a touch bright to me (they measure “flat” with a bit of HF roll off in my room). The interesting thing is the subs are the only change and they were measured and adjust flat to 25hz and roll off from there. Now that it has been a month or so without subs the speakers sound a touch warm again. All in all pretty interesting with no change to the mids or highs. Just that lass octave and 1/2.

I don’t have much horn experience other than these speakers and demos of the Klispch line (which I did not really care for if I am being honest). I sit 10’ from my speakers and a well damped room, 7” broad band panels at first reflection points, fully treated ceiling, full carpet, big soft fabric theater seats, so that might play into it too. My UHF adjustment is 0.5db down which makes a bigger difference than one might think.

The 4367 currently is my favorite speaker I have owned, their flaws are minor at their price point and have honestly given me a moment of pause as I am not sure what I would change too. which leads me to changing my subs and trying a more active approach and I plan to dip my toes into digital correction and see how it goes