GaN based SU-R1000 Technics Integrated Class-D, review by TAS

After their unobtainable and unaffordable ground breaking 1.5mhz switching speed, Technics SE-R1 GaN Class-D power amp, this new offspring integrated has finally gotten an in depth review.

I had high hopes for Technics "fully optioned" SU-R1000 integrated, "looks" like my hopes could be founded, here is the The Absolute Sound’s 7 page!!! review on it, enjoy.
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/technics-su-r1000-integrated-amplifier?mc_cid=2c9d21110f&a...

Cheers George
128x128georgehifi

Showing 2 responses by jjss49

@twoleftears

Let’s face it, reviews in the two mainstream mags that contain even a brief comparative section are few and far between, and when they do, the components that are compared are usually nowhere near the same price bracket. The mags won’t risk pissing of manufacturers by printing statements like brand X performed, overall, better than brand Y.

Look what happened with Herb R.’s much-heralded cable survey that was announced a number of months ago. How many installments did that have? One.

i think it is called a ’collectively profit-making, self perpetuating eco-system’... the target audience (and often enough, the prey) being the inexperienced retail consumer/hi fi enthusiast

the good news is that the better made, higher priced gan or otherwise class d amps are sounding quite good these days, much much better than older stuff, even under big uber high end brand names who have gone there in the past

the bad news is that reviews, esp. by the commercial audio press, online, or in print, will only get you so far, as they have mixed incentives to report the whole truth, nothing but the truth, and legit and useful comparisons that buyers likely care about

auditions (ideally in home, in your own system) are key, but they cost time energy and money... that being said, the good news above is indeed good news, and the differences in sq between different units may be relatively modest on all but very good very resolving systems... on many systems most modern options will be very good in producing glorious music, especially when direct comparisons are not at one’s disposal

i have gone back to the budget gan mini 5 - listening to this very modestly priced amp with various dacs i have laying around, soekris, pontus, audio mirror doge... in all cases there beautiful reproduction of music without typical distracting hifi nasties