Galion TS120

So this seems to be a bit weird. Thomas Tan from Thomas & Stereo is touting this as his improved version of the Doge 10. He’s having all of his YouTube buddies review the amp.

I’ve checked a number of the forums and I can’t find a single post about this amp. There is a very strange "post" where you would look for the Doge 10 by the co-creator of that amp who seems very upset about the Galion TS120 and the fact that they took the Doge 10 off the market even though the Galion TS120 is almost the same thing.

Ron, from New Record Day, has a video where he compared the Fusion Black Ice F35, the Rogue Cronus Magnum III, the Galion TS120 and the LTA Z40+i with sound samples and a reference. I listened and thought that the LTA was the best with the Galion second although it was a closer second than it should have been given the price differential.

So, anyhow, my questions are whether anyone has bought this or knows about it and/or has some thoughts about it.

dz13

Showing 1 response by danager

The Galleon evolution has been a fun trip to watch and Thomas has been pretty up front about it.  He had the idea to monetize his youtube following and voice an offshore  built amp to fit his idea of a better sound.  He even had followers comment on the faceplate markings as he developed it.  One of the interesting parts of his learning curve was the realization that to get where he is today required lots of capacitor trial and error that changing one set could undue the positive effects of the changes he just made.  I'm sure that Thomas has a huge amount of time and had to commit to quite a few units to bring the Galleon to market.  He originally proposed the amp under $3000 but it's now approaching double that.  

I haven't heard the amp and it isn't really something that would I would use in my current system but I'm sure it's fine and  cost competitive with other amps out there.  My only issue is that knowing Thomas has a financial interest in a product, how does this affect his reviews?  

More to discover