full range or mini's and a sub

Guys I'm not the most seasoned audiophile so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.  However, here it goes...  I have heard many audiophiles talk about the magic of mini-monitors and their ability to disappear and soundstage.  Many say that it is very difficult to get the same advantages with full-range speakers.  Still most reference systems seem to be built around full range speakers.  If there is a true magic to mini-monitors why don't I see more reference systems with mini-monitors and subs for the lows?

128x128asmithkash

Showing 1 response by deep_333

Full size speakers WITH subs is the correct answer. There needs to be a sound power hand-off between the sub and speaker. Most subs are far more dynamic than stand mount speakers, so the speaker will still be the limiting factor. There are exceptions of course, TAD comes to mind.

@james633 , Much truth here...Comments like these tend to get buried under the constant misinformation barrage on this forum.

Small speakers like that TAD, Borresen, etc that can manage the ’hand-off’ get rather expensive, much cheaper to go big...makes you wonder why a guy is trying to go with dinky li’l speakers in the first place...i.e., Is he really living in a closet sized room, or is it purely psychological or some other heavy WAF restriction....