Former Tekton owners: What have you moved on to?

I owned the Tekton Lore Reference for about a year and a half and they were great for the price. I ran them with a 50w tube integrated and it was a nice combo. For $750 I had no complaints except perhaps that the paint was cracking on one of the rounded corners. I ended up buying a pair of Gallo CL-2 for an office system on closeout direct from Gallo for $390/pair. After they were broken in I found myself listening to them more than the Tektons after awhile. I was getting addicted to the CDT tweeter.

Based on that experience I ordered the CL-3 refurbished for $650/pair shipped (crazy steal) and they were on a different level than both of the above. Sonically, one defining moment for me was listening to Joni Mitchell, Both Sides Now. (I think the Track was You’re My Thrill. )
During the intro there is a brief flute soli. With the Tektons it sounded like a really nice flute section that was very homogenous sounding and blended. With the Gallos I could hear each individual flute player and their unique tones and vibrato. The bass was also deeper and tighter on the gallos and the imaging was just amazingly holographic and wide and deep.

I know the timing of this is interesting as the Tekton hype train seems to be at full tilt right now with some of his higher models and I am curious to hear them. The 2 things that would give me serious pause and keep me from moving up the Tekton line are 1) the size and aesthetics 2) The very much "in your face" house sound that can get tiring to me.  Just wondering what others have moved on to from Tekton and what they heard that moved them in that direction.
128x128clarinetmonster2

Showing 6 responses by james_w514

Went from Double Impacts (no upgrades) to Dynaudio Special 40’s and standard Tyler Acoustics D1X’s. I have since replaced parts and drive units in the D1X’s with Eton Hex Symphony II, Arcosia and SEAS Millenium. They are best speakers I’ve had so well worth the time and investment (total cost was below some previous speakers.)

I still love the addictive Double Impact sound but I needed more refinement in my main setup and I don’t have the room for 2 pairs of big speakers.
@Runnin since you insulted me again I’ll need to rebuke.

Small minded? When it comes to audio, no. My comment that Rainmakers suck compared to Double Impacts was not made out of anger, it comes from experience and ownership of both products. I can probably setup a demo in your area to compare them so you can hear for yourself. I know a guy in Surrey that just got DI’s. On the other side of the coin if someone has a $1200 budget for a little bookshelf speaker Rainmakers are one of my first recommendations along with Focal Aria and Revel Concerta 2. My seconday speakers right now are ELAC UF5 Uni-Fi’s so no snobbery here. They certainly suck compared to DI’s and Enzo XL’s. Being open minded means speaking negatively of things you may like, or love to effectively share information with people that have different views. It’s just an opinion, try and take it with a grain of salt.

It would also be nice to have an actual debate instead of reading your endless childish pokes and knee-jerk reactions after your comments get shut down by other members. Try sticking to facts and following through.

Speaking of getting shut down...It seems like every one of your posts contains something wrong. MDF is used in many pricey speaker designs. For example the Focal Gamma Structure utilized in Sopra and Utopia models uses MDF. Please see the quote from Focal below.

"At Focal, we use MDF (medium-density fibreboard) to achieve this. It may seem a "low-tech" solution compared to some cabinet materials employed today but MDF has inherent advantages that we believe make it the optimum material from which to construct a loudspeaker.

First, it is dense enough and stiff enough – when used in a thick, heavy front baffle – to resist the magnet reaction force from the drive units. As the driver diaphragm is forced forwards by the voice coil, an equal force acts in the opposite direction on the drive unit chassis. This is one of the major inputs of vibrational energy to the cabinet and it must be resisted. This requires not just a thick baffle but also meticulously placed internal bracing. Too stiff a cabinet, though, can be as bad as one which is not stiff enough because it pushes structural resonances up in frequency to a part of the spectrum where the ear is more sensitive.

Second, MDF has something resembling a sandwich structure, in which the faces on each side of the board are denser than its core. As well as contributing to stiffness, this endows MDF with good internal damping to help suppress vibrations when they occur."

I can provide other manufacturers if you need more validation but quoting one of the best speaker makers should get the point across.

When reading Grannyrings previous posts it becomes obvious to me that he knows more than I do about speaker internals. His actions inspired me to try upgrading an already great sounding speaker which resulted in the best product I’ve owned at half the cost of my last speakers (Martin Logan ESL 15A.) I too have opened up expensive speakers just to find cheap parts inside. I hate to state the obvious but only statement level products are built with cost-no-object budgets.

Going over Hfaddicts other posts shows me he is a respectful and open minded guy that genuinely appreciates the exchange of ideas. The only negative post I could find is pointed at you in a respectful manner, so he must be the problem right?
@stfoth For me the best part of the DI's is the speedy cohesiveness of the 10" woofers and the 6" mid-bass. I've never heard Impact Monitors but my concern is that they might be missing the core dynamic properties that make the DI good. 

Speaking of speedy, how do the Omegas compare with the Monitor?
Again with the nonsensical and personal attacks. You literally have nothing and can’t stick to facts. It’s pretty obvious here who "needs to get a life". More childish knee-jerk reactions on your part.

DI’s still continue to be one of the best things I’ve heard and an absolute steal for the price. Nothing has changed there nor have I said anything to contradict my statements. Only your twisted realty makes it anything different.

No one is being "sucked in" and every hobbyist I know has a mind of their own. I’ve been buying and evaluating gear for more years than I can recall so playing it off as a negative doesn’t work with me. This experience has been invaluable working in the industry. My current speakers are the best I’ve heard in room and Marten Miles 5 are the best I’ve had for the size so of course I’ll share that info on a thread. I also think DI’s are the best for the price but why echo what I already said in the Tekton thread. Speaking negatively about products I like is a really great used car salesman pitch, nice logic.

If posting a meme of Kayode Ewumi as his MC Roll Safe character comes off as racist and bigoted you are really out of touch. If you just see that as an African American (he is Anglo-Nigerian BTW) and not a popular comedy character known for ridiculous comments that is very concerning, colour has nothing to do with it. You might as well start getting upset at Micheal Scott memes, maybe he is a white supremacist? Yet another facepalm moment. Hopefully you really are done with me. It would be nice to have troll free discussions.

I'd like to bring in the Omega Super Alnico High Output XRS or Monitor at some point but I can't find anywhere to demo a pair. 
Great choice Nitrobob, the Focus SE’s really stand out at their price point. Happy Listening!