for $700 - 1box or 2 box dgtl playback?

I have $700 to spend on a USED digital playback....I was thinking of getting a CAL Delta transport($300), MSB Link 3 dac or Assemblage DAC2(both selling for about $300 each), and a Monarchy DIP ($100)....then again, there is the option of spending all of the $700 on a single-box cd player. I have all the cables I would need on either set up.....comments??
gemini

Showing 1 response by kweisner

I am using an Assemblage DAC-2 with a Rotel transport (RDD 980) and am very happy with the combination. I originally bought the DAC 2 to upgrade some really crappy Aiwa CD Jukeboxes, which it did in spades. I added the Rotel when I decided to get back into this hobby and the combo has been the constant in a pretty decent evolving system (BAT Amps and Magneplanar speakers). At any rate, you can probably get both of these pieces within your budget, and be pretty pleased. BTW, I agree that output stages are very important, and the DAC-2 has a pretty strong one, plus it has HDCD, which to my ears makes a tremendous difference in likewise encoded discs. If you are still in the market in a month or so, let me know. I have been hunting around for a BAT VKD5 player, and might have my gear up for sale by then. Good luck!