Focal Sopra n1 - mids are a bit recessed compared to Lumina IIs

I upgraded my speakers from Sonus Faber Lumina II's to Focal Sopra N1. I am using the Luxman 595 class A amp, which I used for the Lumina IIs as well. 

I love the bass and imaging of the Sopra N1s. Really good! However, one thing is bothering me. The mids or vocals seemed more recessed on the Sopra N1s when compared to my much cheaper Lumina IIs. Why is this? I miss the liveliness of the Lumina IIs from having those mids more forward. 

Also, when I heard the Focal Sopra N1s at the store on a McIntosh 12000, I did not detect the mids being recessed. So it's very confusing also in that respect.  

dman777

Showing 4 responses by deep_333

The 2kish/presence band dip and boosted top end of the Focal will give you the perception of recessed mids. You will find it very hard to compensate with purist amps. If your amp has tone controls, turn down the treble knob to try and get the mids back. Or get a dac like the RME with built in PEQ and adjust to taste (Purism hurts/leads to constant disgruntlement).

Good luck.

@dman777 , You are not going to get away from that Focal house sound you experienced on the Sopras (which you didn’t like) with the Kantas either. But, if the Kanta, 11k/pair is in your budget, you should take a serious look at the Wharfedale Elysian 4 floorstander @ 10k/pair, give it a listen. Essentially, it is the British mid-centric type of house sound (with non-abrasive easy highs) pushed into "high end" with Schweikert/Wilson like bass impact, dynamics, etc. Sonically, it is very much a "high-end" speaker all freaking day long without the high-end pricing and should give you a signature that’s more up your alley. Thank Mr. Peter Comeau for all his hard work if it ends up becoming your "end game". Audit before you buy, of course.

P.S

The Brits got your back on this one....The French are gonna let you down here 😁

Ah, the dealers/pied pipers/V curve ferals, etc have started to arrive for damage control and stating that the OP’s experience is illegitimate. These dudes will soon claim "It’s not the speaker, it is you!!"

On a half moon night for exactly 14 mins before midnight, the lush chocolatey full bodied mids of the Sopras will pop out, right boys? Mmhmm.

@rsf507  @deep_333 when I heard the the Sopra 1s (and Kanta 2s) at the hifi store on a MacIntosh 12000, I did not detect recessed mids at all. In fact, I feel in love with the sound! The MacIntosh 12000 has a EQ, is that why?

@dman777 , Here's the ~sound power for your Focal....  Directivity indices are ok with Focal where you could try some salvage solution to improve perception with digital PEQ (no analog eq), i.e., they are a relatively more EQ friendly speaker.  But, you don't want to slap too much lipstick on a pig either. If i were you, i'd sell it to any number of dudes who like these types of things and move on to some speakers out there that better suit your ears...Audition the Wharfedale Elysian 4, JBL HDI 3800, etc...or stick with the Sonus Fabers you had...Audition something higher up on the Sonus Faber chain.