Focal Sopra 2 or Sopra 3?

This isn't going to be happening soon as I need to save more for them. (I will have to find a good used set)I have a VAC Renaissance 70/70 amp that I am getting updated by VAC in January to MK IIIS. I love this amp and i am not looking to change it. I may be interested in working toward a different speaker for it some day and these Focals may work. 91 db sensitivity which should work with my amp's 65 pure class A WPC.  My current speakers really match well with it, they are Goldenear Triton 1.r's and to me they sound very good. But someday I may want even better resolution, not sure. What issues may I find mating these to my amp in the future?  My Preamp is a VAC CLA1 Mk III, it was just serviced by VAC and completely updated to Mk III with new parts. So my pre/ Amp combo is tubes. I've read in reviews different opinions on how these sound, some say rather bright and forward and others do not, say they are really smooth in the midrange  so it's confusing. I may just take my amp to a dealer about 1.5 hours away and make an appointment to audition them. Are these a reasonable option? My room is a dedicated listening room with a great deal of treatments, especially with bass absorbers, diffusion etc. The room is 14 x 18 x 6.5 ceilings. The Tritons have a lot of bass so it seems to handle it well after a lot of experimentation in placements of speakers. They are 7 feet out from the front wall and over 3 feet from side walls and about 7.5 feet apart.

128x128fthompson251

Showing 2 responses by james633

The focal’s are way over priced since the price hikes. At their original price of $14k they were good. Now they are what over $20,000. if you want a cheaper option that sound very similar the Revel 228be (these need subs too imo) are about 1/2 the price and maybe a better speaker. Even the 328be is cheaper and I would say a better speaker to me (cleaner highs, more bass output). I would still run subs with the 328be… actually I would run subs with every speaker on the market that was not powered…

but honestly if you like what you have just keep them. Bass is super important and you seem to like what you have. It will be hard to move away from the powered subs in your speakers without throwing cash at a sub/crossover system.

oh yeah the Focus XD’s might work out great for you. I often forget about the brand, not sure why as they seem great

As for price/other brands

Don’t get me wrong I like focals and have owned a few pairs but when other brands increased prices in the last few years 10%-15% focal did a 40% increase. That is the root of my comment on price. The speaker came out at $14k and was compared to higher prices speakers. Imo they just increased the price to what the market would bear.

New revel and old revel sound about the same. I have heard both the Salon 2 and 328be in the same room. The new one are much easier to drive but don’t go as low. But if you did not like the old ones you will not like the new ones either.

The 328be is $3ish cheaper than the Sopra 2. It has the same sound quality (while a touch different) but out put the Sopra 2s can’t dream of touching. I have never heard a “modest” size (lol) speaker that can play so loud. I hear no compression at ear bleeding levels which is nice for a duel home theater setup not to worry about damage.

All in all they all sound great and it is only money. The focals look very nice and that look is a good bit of the price. Revels look very plain.

here is a video that show a bit of how the house sounds compare. The revel in this video are roughly $7k and I think the focal in around $10. They sound a bit different but if you like one you will probably like the other. I think the mids are a little more open on the focals and I feel the highs are softer/cleaner on the revel. Bass is so room dependent is it hard to say.