Focal Sopra 1 Bookshelves (with subs) or Focal Kanta 2s towers instead?

I am having trouble deciding between Sopra 1 speakers and the Kanta 2 towers by Focal. I heard them both in the store using a MacIntosh 12000. I currently have a Yamaha AS-3200 amp but I will eventually be buying the MacIntosh 12000 also. All new equipment and not used.

The room these will live in is about 300 square feet... like a 13 x 26 foot shoe box design. The room is untreated and I do not plan on treating the room or using room correction software. I have no interest in that.

I love the imaging and separation of the Sopra 1s. But I also love the warmth and low mids that the Kanta 2 speakers give. If I was to get the Sopra 1s, I would get 2 REL 510 subs with it.

Any opinions, please on if I should get the Sopra 1s or Kanta 2s?

Side note: I am not considering anything else... I like Focal/McIntosh set up I heard at the store and sticking with it.

dman777

Showing 8 responses by dman777

I have 2 amps... Luxman 595 Class A and Yamaha 3200. I run them separately, never at the same time. I switch out the plugs on my Sonus Faber speakers and plug the amp I am in the mood for. 

subs/sats will most likely sound better

But wouldn’t the low mids freq be missing with the subs/stats that the towers would offer?

From what I understand, subs play at a lower freq for slam and impact rather than filling those upper low freq that the towers offer?

Thanks! This is my living room (please see link below for photo). I will be replacing the speakers you see with the green arrows. I typically listen to the music on the couch where you see the X. I know it’s not the ideal position for a audiophile, but it suits me good. Because of the acoustics of the room, I can still get a good holographic image sitting there.

The focal speakers will be replacing the Sonus Faber Lumina II speakers.

I listen to all music types:
1) Jazz (Luxman class A amp)

2) Electronic dance music (Yamaha 3200 amp)

3) 90s pop and alternative (like Dinosaur JR which is guitar music) (Yamaha 3200 amp).

4) Colombian music (Luxman class A amp)

5) Classical music (Yamaha 3200 amp).

Electronic dance music and 90’s pop/alternative music is what I listen to the majority of the time.

Please let me know what you think. Also, just a reminder please it has to be between these 2 focal speakers sets. I am not looking at any other brands.

link to photo

^^^

Luxman and Focal is a pretty nice combo....I'd try that before pulling the trigger on the MA12000.  Not saying you won't enjoy it more, simply that I would do speakers then amp.  Good luck.  

Thanks... in general do you prefer towers or bookshelves? 

@jeffreyw  Thanks! But what about those low mids that Kantas 2 have? Won't the Sopra 1s be missing them? 

@mfili35 Here is the Focal 2s from Sound Sommelier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYNFLI9vMiE

@jeffreyw @mfili35 I looked at the Kanta 3s and the Sopra 2s, but the Focal website gives room measurements and basically said my room was to small for them to operate at their fullest potential.

@georgeblue9 oh wow, have you already done this yet? If so, are you happier with the towers? Do you miss the superior imaging the bookshelves have over towers?

Just a follow up... I ended up getting a good deal on the Focal Sopra 1s. They are really good! Love them. I plan on getting Sopra 2's in the future also. The Sopra 1s are so good I don't really need Sopra 2s. However, I am curious and  wonder about that full tower sound would be like also.