Focal Aria 948

Currently I have a pair I am trying to see if I like before purchasing.  Not sure if all the all the great bass that people talk about is there. Plenty of midrange. Just not in love with them.  Anybody have any suggestions in this price range?  was considering a pair of Klipsch Forte, Salk Song3 beats and Philharmonic BMR Towers.

bucket91

Showing 2 responses by panzrwagn

Josef Anton Hoffman, the 'H' in KLH was an audio engineer with a storied career that included working on the Manhattan Project in WWII, after which he returned to school at Harvard where he earned his PhD. In his career, he worked at KLH, AR, and Advent.

Hofmann's Iron Law
"There are three parameters that cannot all be had at the same time. They are low-bass reproduction, small (enclosure) size, and high (output) sensitivity." Hofmann stated that designers could pick two of these three parameters, but in doing so, it would compromise the third parameter.

The Focal Aria 948, with 92.5 dB sensitivity, gives up almost an octave of bass potential for that sensitivity. if were re-engineered to give up 3dB of sensitivity it could probably reclaim bass down to near 40 Hz. The best you can do is locate it closer to your rear walls to increase the acoustic loading. but that may have other tradeoffs you don't care for regarding soundstage and imaging.