Focal Aria 948

Currently I have a pair I am trying to see if I like before purchasing.  Not sure if all the all the great bass that people talk about is there. Plenty of midrange. Just not in love with them.  Anybody have any suggestions in this price range?  was considering a pair of Klipsch Forte, Salk Song3 beats and Philharmonic BMR Towers.

bucket91

Showing 2 responses by james633

Your take is right on the focal… no bass. If you don’t like it move along. even the Sopra lacks bass regardless of what the internet says…A lot of people on here listen to soft music. I need bass slam. 

Anyway the only speaker I can speak to on your list is the forte. I thought the bass was weak on those too, There but quiet. Then a long time later I say Erin’s audio corner (link below) measured them and they indeed have a base shelve (down). They will need room gain, placed near a wall to have bass. 

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/klipsch_forte_iv/

Honestly in this price range/speaker size you really need subs. An active crossover that allows for a highpass is really the key to good bass with domestic size/cost speakers. 

I have owned some of the products recommend in this thread and they all lack bass slam and extention. While Focal and Harman make great speakers they both roll the deep bass off for efficiency, or to keep the box small. Harman specifically seems to do this with both Revel and JBL these days. I own/have owned Revel,JBL,Focal and Klispch so speak from direct experience. 

Once you have a true full range system there is no going back.