Fo Audio Research Ref 10 owners, Best Amp?

What amp did you find worked best with this pre amp?

Did it depend on wattage? I am currently using 250 per channel.

Do I need more?

Or is it the synergy with a certain amp?

I know I am not getting all the potential of this pre. Something is holding it back.

And I know my system is capable of so much more. The problem is I had auditioned somebody's ref 10 and it sounded miraculous. The walls of my apartment disappeared and I wanted to listen to all of my many many cds again. It got difficult just leaving to do the things I needed to do. Ever feel that way with your system?

The kicker is I don't remember which amp I was using! I was trying out many amps and not keeping notes. It was a long time ago. Everything else is exactly the same-transprt, Dac, Speakers. 

If any of you are so inclined let me know what amp you found goes best with your ref 10 and let me know if you've found that nirvana I ever so briefly enjoyed.

Thank you for your time.

roxy1927

It's difficult to recommend an amplifier without knowing the speakers with which it will be used.

Well, I own an ARC Reference 6SE, and before a REF5se. In the past I have used Pass amps, like most recently the Pass 350. The moment I put a ARC Reference 160s and 160m mono locks I knew that was the end of my long relationship with solid state amps. Absolutely magical. I went from 45 minute listening sessions to three hour sessions.

In fact I then swapped my DAC for a ARC Reference 9CD SE DAC and the synergy became really obvious. While very detailed the overall musicality and natural character became even greater.

I have not heard the REF 10… however the LS 28SE and Ref 5 - 6SE clearly share the same sound signature, so I am sure this will be a nearly identical match.

Wattage matters a lot with solid state and is no where nearly as important with tube gear. 350 wpc sounded about right with my Sonus Faber Amati…~ 90db sensitivity… I am running them now with my Ref 160 in triode mode with 70wpc… more than enough power at any volume.

I have the Ref 10 and my amp is the Ref 75se. Speakers are Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III at 91db sensitivity. My room is 13 x13 and I don’t usually exceed 80db while listening with volume under 50 with the meters not reaching 1 watt. Great soundstage and imaging. I heard this preamp with the Ref 250 at the dealer in a large room and it was holographic. Any Audio Research amp will be great, just pick the power you need. You need way less than you think.

Phil