Fleetwood Deville vs Wilson Sound

Both are great speakers. I was always curious about Wilson speakers especially because some people really hate on them.

Anyone compare the Fleetwood Deville vs Wilson Sasha Tier?

How would you describe the differences in own words?

The Devilles make female vocals sound quite stunning, and am unsure if I would like that "crisp clear hifi" sound that Wilsons have.

Opinions?

128x128f208frank

Showing 4 responses by deep_333

I am unsure why Wilson gets so much hate. 

Wilsons are just so ugly...

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

A thing of ugly is bonerloss forever.

Just carried by high end electronics... It is no miracle of the speaker. Dave Wilson was always sneaky as sht at shows back in the days...always make it a difficult dumb load so dudes are forced to deploy the serious electronics. Such serious electronics can even carry a hog to victory lane.

Same rinse/repeat/rehash of the same crap for decades...no innovation...just buy drivers from Focal ( learn to make your own driver one day Willy!),

etc etc

It's a crap brand with fake hype dude.

@deep_333 design decisions are made based on what sounds best and Wilson Audio manufactures their own components. When there’s better quality and more effective to source parts from external entities, then a decision is made to do so. It is a smart business model and as long as it doesn’t result in sacrificing performance (I’m sure they go thru rigorous testing to confirm this), it should be completely fine. By the way, I don’t think Wilson Audio uses Focal drivers anymore. But they did. Focal is known for their drivers so once again, I don’t see why that’s the basis or a reason for hating the brand.

@audphile1 , Really? I suppose i can’t expect all forum stock to be degreed engineers, but, they really sold you on that "design decision" crap, huh? Funny indeed, but, it is also quite obnoxious when a dude who charges 90k for a freaking speaker can’t engineer his own drivers from scratch.

Take a look at Borresen, TAD, Yamaha, etc, that’s called real engineering dude. On the same note, what do you call a Wilson with a Focal driver? Call it a shameful li’l Focalson...

P.S

If, in case, you are a Wilson dealer or Wilson paid pied piper (forum incognito), don’t bother to extend this conversation any further.

@audphile1 , I am not a stranger to the Wilson brand, i owned one of the original WAMMs for many many years. At some point, a guy has to wonder where the hell is the money getting spent when a manufacturer charges a measly 90k and above for a speaker. 

I have also owned/had on loan at least one model of  Magico, Rockport, whatever,  big name brand in the past 30 years...I can discern how much aptitude is on display in each instance and how much cash a manufacturer actually spent on dev'ing a speaker.... vs taking the easy peasy way out to fill those bottomless pockets.  We can agree to disagree.

Not sure why it’s surprising to you that a top notch speaker requires world class electronics.

@audphile1

This is another big myth, a lie propagated by certain manufacturers.

Here are some examples.

I used to have the TAD Reference from A.Jones, currently have the E1TX. Put either of them on a 800 dollar dac or a 3000 dollar amp, they sound freaking excellent. Put it on a 15k dac and a 40k amp, they scale up like a mofo and sound mind boggling. My buddy has the big Raidho --->similar story, sounds phenomenal on all kinds of electronics at high and low price points...Some of the big JBL synthesis line i used to own --->same story.....Borresen --> similar story....evens some Magicos do just fine...

But, a Wilson...."Oh no,,,it only sounds awful because it’s you...it’s all your fault, never the manufacturer’s fault! ...it’s all the awful electronics you tied to it. You just didn’t spend enough to make the best come out of it (2 minutes before midnight the day before the solar eclipse!)", says the manufacturer and his dealer....

Translation---> it’s the electronics that carries them all day long, no miracle of the speaker.

Like i said earlier, i can put certain serious electronics in front of anything and sweet melodies will come out of it.

Like i said earlier, we can agree to disagree.

Gnite.