FLAC, WAV or AIFF question

I run audirvana plus on a Mac laptop in iTunes integrated mode. I have always downloaded AIFF hi Rez files. Another hi Rez site offers WAV and FLAC both in 24/96 resolution. Should I download the FLAC file since it takes up less room than the WAV file? Will my Mac recognize it even though I use audirvana for playback?
jc4659

Showing 3 responses by zd542

You can play FLAC files on your mac, but iTunes doesn't support it. You'll need to use a different music player.

My choice would be to get the WAV format. Once you have that, you can transcode to any other format you're interested.
For myself, I download WAV because I think it sounds better than FLAC. Once I have the files on my hard drive, I transcode to FLAC and MP-3. From there, I put the WAV files on a backup HD, so if there's ever a problem, I can go back to them and start over. This way, you don't have to make any sacrifices.
If anyone is using Linux, or is willing to try it, Puddletag is the best tagger I've seen so far. If you do a lot of tagging, its definitely worth the effort.