First Test for tube bias on ARC Ref 110?

When is the appropriate time to first test biasing on the ARC Ref 110?
This is my first experience with a ARC amplifier and I have read that power tubes typically drift most in the early stages. What is meant by early stages? Any recommedations are appreciated. It has only just under 49 hours of use thus far, so far from even broken in yet...
bavarian05

Showing 5 responses by marakanetz

Convenience vs. sound quality I guess is at the core of their thinking. That is my best guess at their thinking.

It's the best phrase to cut corners, but reality is different.
It's surprising that Reference models of ARC do not have an auto-bias. Even if the most primitive autobias circuit is implemented, you don't have to worry about biasing for at least half of tube life. I don't clearly understand ARC philosophy beyond that.
Cmalak,
Why do you thing that it's done by "added microprocessors and digital circuitry"?
1. Autobiasing is done in DC domain and does not affect the signal no matter what kind of components are being used vacuum, solid-state or ICs.
2. Autobiasing could also be done without using any "added microprocessors and digital circuitry" by common cathode resistor(1940's?), but modern means of autobias widely implemented in Quicksilver amplifiers not only save tube life, but apperently improve sound! Stable quiescent grid current is a "dream:" of every tube push-pull amp.
Pardon, but I don't see this as convenience only feature.
Yup,
Why not? Autobias will substantially decrease tube demand on the market. Microstrip speaks nothing but the standard marketting words to make an amp cheaper.
How much the price of the unit will increase by introducing common Cathode resistor or few semiconductor elements(modern way)?
This makes the unit plug-n-play with bullet-proof reliability that substantially decreases demand to send the unit for repair.
I explained facts and not opinions or judgements.
For next upgrade try to get Quicksilver's flagship and experience the magic along with bullet-proof reliability.