First table, second cartridge, ...

Hey folks,

Still relatively new to vinyl.

Sought and received some great advice here in a previous thread on my first cartridge upgrade on my first turntable.  This is a Rega RP8 fed by my "starter" phono stage (Vincent PHO 8).

I decided to trade in my damaged Exact for the Ania Pro.

I plan on using the Vincent for a while and listen for and learn about the differences going with a moving coil. But would like to start looking into upgrading that now.

Any suggestions for a phono stage upgrade?

Or would an SUT be an option?

Thanks everyone!

hleeid

Many folks prefer the SUT option. Personally, I've been really happy with well-built phono stages. You could go up the Vincent chain and check out the PHO-701. I've used that one and love it. Lehmann is another brand I really enjoy. Anyway, in my experience, I find the phono stages with multiple load options for MC carts an excellent way to go. Like the PHO-701, it has many detailed adjustments via DIN switches ranging from 99-1000 ohms, so you can really dial in the sound.

Look at the Goldnote PS-10 + PSU-10. It will run any cart and won't break the bank; and you can adjust everything on the fly from a single control knob. 

Welcome to the world of vinyl. We can all give you advice but only your ears can tell you what you like. As for the phono stage different cartridges need to be driven differently so some thing that allows you to change on the fly I believe is necessary. Then try different technologies SS, tube, and hybrid. I personally preferer tubes. Try the used market before you spend the big bucks. Did you have a budget in mind? But most of all have fun with it.  

You might want to look into any of the Whest audio phono preamps, or the Parasound JC3+

Thanks for the responses! 

Lots of information to go through. Started reading about some of the suggested units.

@pindac I took your advice and have scheduled an appointment for next weekend with a local HiFi shop where I ordered the Ania Pro. They will do a free turntable setup with the new cartridge. Then they will let me try out different phono stages with my turntable.

@ghdprentice A couple of audiophile coworkers just told me the same thing about phono stage price relative to turntable price. Really tempted by the Audio Research PH 8!

I am hoping to get some pictures soon. Just moved to a new place and still experimenting with placement in a 12.5' x 38' open attic room. 

Hopefully there will be a good representation of phono stages to try. I will keep in mind the suggestions and probably will be back with more questions!