finally tried an exposure 3010s2d integrated vs my audio refinement (yba) separates

In a nutshell, I just tried the following, swapping from:

Audio Refinement (made by yba) separates:

• Pre 5 (preamp)
  • Multi 5 (amp)
  • both analog only and setup for 2.0 channels

to:

Exposure:

• 3010s2d integrated
  • again stereo 2.0 only

I like the sound of the exposure gear.  In some instances it seems to come very close to my AR separates.  But, it does not get loud enough and seems to be lacking bass, especially at higher volumes.

Here are some more details:

• Pro Ac Studio 148 towers
    • 91 db sensitivity
    • 2.5 way (easily go down to 25Hz)
    • 4 ohm (Nominal Impedance)
    • plenty of efficiency and bass response and deep range
    • isolated on Soundocity SEV-9 outriggers with metal spikes and spike cups to protect wood floor

Additional Audio Refinement specs:

• Pre 5
    • S/N ratio: 100db
    • Max Output Voltage: 3.8V
  • Multi 5
    • S/N ratio: > 90db
    • 125 WPC into 8 ohms, 200 WPC 4 ohms

Additional Exposure specs:

• 3010s2d
    • S/N ratio: > 100db
    • 110 WPC into 8 ohms, couldn't find a 4 ohms rating
    • preamp output: 1V (is this true for both outboard and inboard?)

If I am reading all of this correctly, the major difference is the Pre5's output of 3.8V vs the Exposure's 1V ouput (if this is the figure for both inboard and outboard signals?).  2.8V seems like quite a difference here.  Looking at the preamp specs of the Exposure 3010s2d preamp only, I see an output voltage of 2v, which seems possibly the sweet spot given I thought the Pre5's output voltage was high at times and used -12db attenuators to adjust this.  I guess Exposure separates used the 2V output as their main marketing advantage?  I've seen a lot of people describe Exposure's bass as tight, but again, I think it is lacking?

Any other thoughts here?  Should I try the Exposure separates because of this 2.8V difference?

sbrownnw

If you want to reduce gain just find a new gain appropriate preamp that matches your amp. Stop messing with attenuators and get gear that synergizes better. That said it's a bit surprising the YBA preamp and amp don't work together better.

I think this is helping me understand what is going on here:

I am going to target approx 2.5V resulting output voltage for a given preamp, with the following options:

1. The Exposure 3010s2d preamp comes in at 2V, which is close, but still needs some bump in voltage to get to 2.5V and does not simplify my system from two boxes to one.
  2. My Audio Refinement is 3.8V, so if I get a -3 db attenuator I get very close to 2.5V.
  3. The Exposure 3010s2d integrated has 1.0V preamp (if both inboard and outboard) and would need ~ 8 db increase to get anywhere close to 2.5V (this is just under 3x absolute value modifier over option #2) and still does not get my system simplified.

Calculations for #2 with -3db attenuators between AR Pre5 and Multi5:

• original output voltage: 1.0V RMS == Lv 0 11.59 dBv
  • decrease Lv by -3 db: 8.59 Lv == 2.69 RMS

Calculations for #3 if I could introduce a +10db increase on the 3010s2d integrated:

• original output voltage: 1.0V RMS == Lv 0
  • increase Lv by +8: 8 Lv == 2.51 RMS

All calculations from: https://sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm