Filling a 6600 Cu. ft. room

Hi there I am curious to see just how large of speakers and how many sub woofers it would take to fill a 30x40 space

Its a barn and has vaulted ceilings obviously due to a barn.
Im not certain what the spacing up there would be

Im dreaming of one day getting the genesis 300 when im on top of the world. I havent heard them, I just have extreme faith in arnie nudell and havent seen many speakers that really make me wanna upgrade from B&W Matrix 804's. The JM Labs mezzo Utopias interest me as well as the leagcy focus 20/20. I have heard the new Etopia EM with the VTL Seigfrieds and was blown away and its not the greatest reference but i have the focal utopia components and subs from 2000 or so in my car and they do rock just amazing, I even find myself listening to the jazz staion occasionaly because it comes in well and im not a jazz guy. Any way Ive been looking at the Velodyne HGS18, Paradigm Servo 15, I know enough to know i can no longer go with what seems cool and I need to get help from folks that really know whats up.
128x128systembuilder

Showing 2 responses by br3098

A lot depends on your listening preferences, which you have not described for us. If you just want to play background music, pick a pair of speakers and place them where you want. They will probably be too loud close to the source and not loud enough farther away.

I agree with Kal (as always), a dedicated space will give you the best option to hear music the best way e.g. optimized for the room. Pick your gear according to the size of the dedicated space.

Third option: why do you need to be limited to one rig? You can place two or more small systems in various parts of the barn space, the setup optimized for the "local" space. This is a no brainer if you will be using an audio streamer like Sonos or the Logitech systems. If you use active speakers you will not need anything other than the streaming devices and the speakers. More gear is a good thing, IMHO. Disclaimer - my wife does not agree.
Systembuilder, based on your last response it seems that you agree that a single pair of speakers for a space of your size is going to be a compromise. The best suggestion I can make is to try a pair or Ohm Walsh 5000 speakers. I have not heard a pair of Ohm speakers in a space as challenging as yours, but I have heard them in smaller rooms and I think that they might be the best combination of stereo imaging and diffuse sound (the latter for lack of a better term).

I am not implying that this is the best idea; only that this is MY best idea, based on your specific requirements.