Field coil dava cartridge

I have been hearing great things about the dava field coil cartridge with the tube power supply. I am only able to read a few reviews on them. The reviews seem all positive and the designer Darius seems to be a very approachable person . I would like to hear opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of the cartridge. Especially comparison with the Lyra atlas sl which is my current cartridge.

thanks in advance.

newtoncr

Dear @bonzo75  : 

"  seems to assume and state other people’s preference without knowing their experiences to suit his theories. "

Ok then, please tell us about those vintage Sony cartridges because this is what I posted, not about AT listen.

Btw, difference with AT cartridges is that all AT models has not that high FR deviations and along are very good trackers.

I know you are in love with those FR deviation levels, nothing wrong with that but that you can't compare a heavy colored sound vs a more accurated one that can put you nearer to the recording. Seems to me that almost no single LP recording comes with that high FR deviations as your cartridge in love.

Now, about the LT tonearms as the Vyger you need technical why can't even a good tonearm/cartridge combination in the bass frequency range when in other frequency range theeeeLT are better than pivoted ones. From mid-bass down the LT can't do it with the same aplomb and quality level than a good cartridge/pivoted combination.

Other issue with your Viger experiences is that almost always you were listening through tube electronics and mainly through horn speakers and even when you experienced with dynamic speakers and SS amp the system owner uses a tube phono stage. Always high colored kind of sound, again nothing wrong with that.

Btw, you posted:

"  with most linear trackers, there is insufficient bass, authority and weight as compared to pivots. It is only with Vyger and CS Port that I hear bass and weight, and this could be a function of the platter, the air pressure, or both. "

Yes, air pressure is critical but everything the same TT platter is only one part of the whole TT design and extremely difficult to aisle it.

You posted that an owner of two MS8000 changed it for two Viger but those MS TT are almost reference of nothing due that are a faulty design but very good looking units .

You blog is named: Zero Distortion  and I applaud your heavy efforts through several years to post all what it's in the blog and you did it and do very detailed with excellent photos and very good looking room/systems choosed where many of us can learn about audio items that some of us ( like  me ) never knew of it. Congratulations with that, it's perfect blog well nothing is perfect and I would like that sooner or latter your experiences can honor your blog name.

bonzo, I think that try that " things " been around an equilibrium is really the name of the game because " extremes " means more and more less an almost nothing.

Equilibrium between objectivity and subjectivity should works better/best for any one of us, just an opinion.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

@bonzo75  : That gentlemasn with the MS 8000's I think had the terrible 3012 tonearms on it, so that Viger like it is not something that could prove Vyger superiority.

You can be sure that the REGA RP-10 is superior and everything the same could outperform the Vyger.

It's not weird that in your bolg system and along the " top " audiophiles ( ? ? ) in wbf the RP-10 just does not appears and I think is because first its price tag is not over 50K and second because it does not in sale by kilogram price as the Vyger or As-200 or Clearaudio or AF 1 and the like.and third  it does not shines as gold/silver and the friends of the owners can't say: WOW when look the REGA instead the " heaVY METAL " THEY ARE ACCUSTOM TO.

Maybe could be another reasons that you could think justify that kind of " audiophiles " attitude.

Look, in the MF review of the SAT XD 1 TT with a price tag over 280K and with almost same cartridges on both this is what MF said about the Rega RP 10  with its humble price tag of only . 6K  ! !   

" The XD1 shares some sonic characteristics with Rega's revolutionary RP 10 turntable: ultrafast, clean transients throughout the audible frequency range; tight, fast bass; revealing midrange transparency; and overall sonic stability and focus. All these characteristics result, apparently, from careful attention paid to structural rigidity and the removal or prevention of unwanted vibrational energy. "

I know very well the RP10 and could be a challenge for any of those " heavy metal " ones that you and your audio friends touted so much.

What do you think about?

R.

Hi everyone,

following up on the dava. I got my dava ref with tube power supply .

my set up now has 3 arms on 2 tables 

1. dava ref on Durand tosca arm on nvs ref turntable 

2. ortofon Anna diamond on kuzma 4 point 11” with Kondo silver wiring 

3. Lyra atlas etna sl on discovery rs toneram on krono pro turntable with Kubala sosna realization cabling .

the dava and Lyra are connected to the current amplification mode of my ch precision p1 with x1, the ortofon is connected to the voltage amplification mm/mc input of the ch.

my impressions after listening for a short period 

the Lyra , Kronos is the best with regard to soundstage , details , impact , micro and macrodynamics. Give it a score of 9.5 music soars and is big.

the dava , Durand nvs and the ortofon kuzma nvs score around 8. Both sound very diff… very musical both of them … will give hrs of listening pleasure but lack the air space and impact of the Kronos.

dava has been burning in and fortunately I have zero noise issues with it .

Does anyone have any recommendations on loading for the ortofon Anna diamond , and also any thoughts on a step up transformer… 

The low outputs and low impedence of the Lyra and dava work great with the current amplification in the ch precision 

Dear @newtoncr  : Well I think that you have the Anna diamond Ortofon recomendation that's higher than 10ohm and the cartridge it self is not sensitive ( as any LOMC cartridge ) to impedance changes if sounds different changing the impedance then that " problem " comes by the phono stage design.

A SUT goes totally against the Ortofon or any other LOMC and you don't need that instead the direct CH high gain stage be changed not only for the SUT but those additional input/output/solder joints and IC cables where the cartridge signal mus pass through and don't forget the SUT internal construction/wire.

If I was you I just forgeret about the SUT. Obviously is up to you but there is no active/sut combination that can outperforms your CH active high gain stage.

R.

@rauliruegas Be careful, there are a bunch of folk who believe that the ’terrible 3012’ tonearm is the ne plus ultra! These very same folk will come and bash you at every chance they get.

I’m with you, the 3012 is a great tonearm, if you are oblivious to bearing chatter, LOL.