Few problems on "new" tt

I just bought a Sansui sr-222 turn table, and, of course, there are a few problems... I just hope you guys can help me out.

First, it sounds awful... I gues the cartridge is'nt in to good a shape, but I could'nt tell (because I know nothing about turntables). It sounds "heavy" : the bass is kind of deap... The cartridge is a ltd-250 (?). I did not find any information on the setup (weight) it requires. If anyboby as any idea.
I will soon buy a knew one, but if I could have working meanwhile...

Second : it grinds. The belt seems to rub on its guide (speed selector). I tried to chang the adjustment, but it also changed the speed. So I set the speed again, and its noisy again. I tought about trying a silk wire.

Also : the motor shaft is spring loaded (I did not know that :-) ), The belt pulls on it when I start the tt, but on the short (and less restricive)side of its float, causing the shaft to rub on the rake (speed selector) and the belt to move on it. Could it be mounted with the float pointing in the wrong way?

I know these are pretty technical questions, and not fun to anwer at all. If you could help me, though, I would be glad to get to know how this thing works.
remi
Post removed 
Remi -- in response to killing records I mean that you originally said that "I gues (sic) the cartrige is'nt (sic)in to (sic) good a shape" And therefore I assumed that it was not properly tuned, and worse, the worn or chipped stylus would scrape and gouge the walls of the grove. My mistake.
No mistake : I can not assume it in good shape, and I don't have the tools to set it right (yet). So 'as it is', yes, it might be in a shape to kill both my anthusiasm and my records.

But I do not intend to run it like that way.
I have pretty much made my mind on a Grado Black cartridge, I will set it up right (or the best I can), I intend to solve a ground problem (I got a pretty exaustive checklist) and to put it on a solid rack.

When it will all be done, I should not have spent more than 200 USD on the whole setup (excluding tools and cleaning equipment) witch I think is reasonnable.

(I'm sorry you had to (sic) me so much : english is not my first language, but I am working on it :-) )

Thank you for the helping me getting started!
Regards
I picked up that sic-ing habit from living in France. Never could get my pronunciation right. I love the Grado, but it can induce hum in some tables. You might find the Mo-Fi has a nice tool called the Geo-disk, I think. It is very easy to use and produces good results. Good luck!