Feedback on Ayre and Aesthetix with Vandersteen 5As

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my two channel system. This will also be part of home theater setup. (75% two channel listening vs 25% movies). Currently I am running Vandersteen 5a (non-carbon) with a Bryston amp (9bsst) and Marantz preamp (8801).  I have narrowed it down to two brands, Aesthetix - Atlas & Calypso or Ayre-  KX-5 twenty & VX-5 twenty. I do not have a local dealer for these brands but I was able to listen to both while out of town hooked up to the Vandersteen 5a carbons. They both sounded amazing. I felt the Aesthetix had a warmer laid back sound and the Ayre had a more revealing, forward sound. I am looking for some feedback on your experiences with these brands or things I should be thinking about. Both retail for around the same cost but I am able to get Aesthetix combo for less. My listening preferences are all over the board from classic rock (Pink Floyd, CSN, Elton John) to jazz and classical/acoustic music.

Thanks
Rob
robertkat
Rob-

both Ayre and Aesthetix are sonic matches for Vandy speakers. At this level, get as much demo time, as possible. Most important of all-which cables/cords are you planning to use?
I was recommened to go with  Audio Quest Castle Rock DBW for the speaker wire and Water for the interconnects.
Sounds like a good plan. Agon member audioconnection (JohnnyR), recommended the AQ Rockets for my Vandy 3a sigs. I would imagine the Castle Rock's would do better. Actually, you should just contact him directly. He has the best info on Vandy's you can get.
Bob
Go to Johnny as he's the best going. he won't oversell you and you'll walk out with what you want and be happy for a long time. I got Vandy Treo's and the Ayre AX5/20 with CASTLE ROCKS and top AQ interconnects. Personally, I'd go with Earth rather than Water at the level you are playing at.  Makes MUCH more sense. Also, I'd think about asking Johnny when the Niagara 5000 comes out in Sept as that will take it to even another level.  Ayre is worry free, built like a tank and is neither tube nor SS.  I am a former tube guy. I have the Aesthetix Rhea, but went with Ayre as I liked it much better because it's resolving and extended without every given any of us fatigue.  I play a bunch of high res Zepplin and the micro and macro dynamics are outstanding. WE all know that Bonham hit the heads harder than any drummer who ever lived and with the Ayre and your awesome 5a's your room will move!  The best part is the control that Ayre gives you.  it won't blow you away in the store, but it will reveal itself over time as you will stop 'listening' and just enjoy.