FEDEX keeps destroying my New CARY 805RS Monoblocks - What can I do to prevent Nightmare?

Hello members,

I really need your help to resolve this issue that has been going on since 12/14/2021. It is now 1/1/2022 and I still have only 1 amplifier that is working and hopefully NOT damaged.

I noticed that many of you are very fond of the Cary 805 monoblocks.
I have purchased a pair and have had 3 amplifiers destroyed by FEDEX Ground.
Any idea how I can get one without having the AMP DESTROYERS ruin them?
CARY ships them in WOODEN CRATES and they still are damaged.
FEDEX also totally ruined one of them by sending it via truck to MINNESOTA - 1280 MILES IN THE WRONG DIRECTION !!! I live in NEW JERSEY.
What would you suggest?
Can I force FEDEX to ship them by AIR to Newark airport? FEDEX CLAIMS/REVENUE SERVICES TOLD ME yesterday that the shipper can request this if FEDEX truck delivery keeps damaging my sensitive electronics.

Should I drive to North CAROLINA - 600 MILES IN ONE DIRECTION?

The FEDEX drivers are NOT able to left the 130 pound wooden crate off of the truck or into my house. Many of the trucks don't even have a hand truck and if they do, the drivers refuse to use them.

One delivery person actually tried to hoist the wooden crate from the driveway onto his shoulder. I stopped him before he fell over backwards!

CARY has been fantastic, but FEDEX is making this into a never ending nightmare!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Mike

rodagon

You have already received good suggestions, and I especially support freight shipping for heavy/expensive items and strapping them to a pallet.  I have twice shipped a pair of Clayton M300 monos (almost 100# each) and a pair of Lamm M1.2 monos on pallets using FedEx Freight, which seemed organized and professional as already mentioned.  They also seemed logistically superior to their ground/air brethren wrt both timing and locating...I doubt the freight arm of FecEx sends stuff to the wrong city very often.

In cases where expensive electronics are shipped by commonly used shippers (i.e., UPS or FedEx) they should be boxed in the manufacturer's purpose-designed packing - dense closed cell foam specifically shaped to hold the item at least two inches away from the walls of the box is best.  You can identify the level of care taken by a company by looking at their packing.  Cardboard boxes should be double wall and even if these guidelines are followed, I recommend using a second, outer box that isolates the manufacturer's box by an additional one to two inches.  Here are packaging guidelines posted by DHL.

I just received a Hattor preamp that was packaged in its own foam-lined case that the shipper packed inside of a sacrificial outer cardboard box, and it arrived with no issues. 

It is Cary's job to deliver new, undamaged amps to you.  Rather than taking an active role, you may want to ask Cary, "what are you going to do differently to get these amps delivered to me intact?"  Good luck!

It's Cary's fault. The amp is ONLY 85 lbs.

My 4 McIntosh Products all came in specific CARDBOARD boxes, inside other specific CARDBOARD boxes. My MC2250 80 lb amp went hither and thither, originally, I got it used, then to the factory for pre-sale check, back to me, sold, off to ....

McIntosh sells model specific boxes for you to use if you don't have one.

USPS, FedEx, UPS, doesn't matter. Yes, a problem can occur, but not frequent, not repeatedly. 

Hi Mitch2 and all others who have offered excellent suggestions:

Monday morning I will do exactly as you have stated.

They have to MAKE SURE the amps arrive in perfect working condition!

I will accept nothing less. I have wanted these amps for many years - since I first heard them in the late 1990s.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

Being an audiophile is supposed to bring great enjoyment in listening to beautiful music. This is all I ask for and hopefully I will be able to do this sometime this week.

Best,

Mike

FEDEX next day air would cost a small fortune and in the end would get the same trucks used for delivery, but the driver would very likely be way more experienced.

If Cary insists in using FEDEX, then you insist on using FEDEX Freight, which as previously stated are FEDEX emps not contractors. They have real skin in the game.

Also, as an aside, I'm totally shocked that FEDEX Ground would accept a package that weighs 130#s.  The UPS Limit is 70#s.  

I've had furniture delivered by FEDEX Freight that weighed hundreds of pounds, the truck had a lift-gate and the driver had a pallet jack as well.  Good luck.

Regards,
barts

There is no fail safe method of shipping audio equipment. I see UPS and Fedex on daily basis at work, various freight carriers as well. Fedex ground most rushed, next Fedex Express and UPS, least freight company drivers. If being rushed correlates to package damage, you want least rushed. Still, I see rough handling by all shipping companies, packaging needs to be right!

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've only experienced a single episode of equipment damage, and this from ridiculously poor packaging of amp. Foam, foam and more foam surrounding entirety of equipment has always worked for me.