Experience with Cary CAD 808, "Rocket 88"

So, I'm building a new (older gear) kit around a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 line-stage and a soon to be rebuilt to spec Cary "Rocket 88" 20-30 watt tuber. Pretty excited by the pairing but don't currently have many speaker options that will perform at optimum with these two components. I have some JM Reynaud, Twins MkII that should be great but also know my Focal, Profile 908 and Linn, Keilidh are not a fit as they're both a bit power hungry. Can anyone report on what they've played with this amp successfully? If you had this combo of pre/power in your kit I'd be interested in knowing how you felt they meshed together. Have a smaller music specific room with standard 8' ceilings and 36'Lx22'W dimensions. Room is well furnished but has great acoustics. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. - B
128x128bgross

Showing 7 responses by bgross

I'm always rotating speakers and right now these Equation 7s are doing the job nicely. The owner drove them effortlessly with a lovely Audiomat, Aria; it's 30watts per side... they may stay with me. I also have a rare set of Reference 3a, Baccarat that will be getting listed here on Audiogon soon. They are for a larger room than my current space but wow, they are truly extraordinary. Going to look for some Spendor SP1/2e. I like the big box/thin walled "Britt Sound"... 8ohm, 88db should be a terrific match. Thanks for your insight. - B
Turns out it's actually a CAD 808 R and is a 30/60 watt newer piece. Have had ProAc Tablet EBs and liked them. Thinking on a set of Audio Physic Step SLE,... I primarily listen late night in a super quiet environment. I bet the Response 2 would be very nice. How about some Spendor SP 1/2? 8ohm load, pretty easy to drive and respond well to tube amps. Must be others that have had this "Rocket 88R". By the way, using the Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 with a pair of borrowed TAD Hibachi mono blocks with the Linns & it's a pretty amazing little setup
No one have/had a Cary Rocket 88R? Curious what others have had success with,...
So I've run through various speakers with this kit,... now using Sonus Faber Concertino Domus and a set of borrowed Equation 7s; both are fabulous albeit with very different presentations. Question: I recently replaced a set of Electro Harmonix 12BZ7 with a set (2) of NOS Raytheons when one of the EH failed. I find the Raytheons to be thin and a bit brittle compared to the EHs. I'd like to hear what members found to be the most successful tube setup for this amp. I'm running a full set (4) of Genelec Red Lions "88s" in the output section, the Raytheon 12BZ7 (2) in the driver/phase inverter stage and a set JJs (2) in the EL84 slots. Wondering what people have used and got the best results from. TY! 
@dcooney thanks for your response... I don’t think I’m going to be happy with the Raytheons. Yes, they are true NOS however maybe they do need a bit more burn-in? The 12BZ7 tube is becoming increasingly difficult to find and the options are few. I’m changing the output tubes to Genelex Red Lion EL34 or Tung Sol... can pick up a pair of NOS Tung Sol 12BZ7 so might change those two sets of tubes and see what it yields. Maybe the tube (1) 12AT7A, in the SFL-1 is failing although I’m not experiencing any of the tell-tale signs that it is. I don’t play the Sonus Fabers loud and really enjoy them. Also, playing a set of Equation "7" towers and they are fabulous with this amp. They are an efficient speaker and pretty rare - beautiful fit and finish. The Cary has plenty jam to drive these. It also has 4ohm/8ohm switching by design and can take on more challenging loads. - B
The more I play these Equation, 7s the more I realize that they are, playing in this system, nothing short of breathtaking. These are straight up keepers!
Hi - glad you like your Rocket 88... I have since swapped out a couple of other components and its performance has now proven even better. Sonic Frontiers (wonderful linestage) replaced by a Manley Shrimp & Rega DAC replaced by a Line Magnetic 502ca. Also, I have the Cary 808R version which is 30/60 triode/ultra-linear. Just a super piece.