Estate sale Fuselier speakers for $370 but I know nothing about them.

So I found these four Fuselier speakers for $370 at an estate sale. They look amazing and from everything I've seen around this forum the creator seemed to know what he was doing.  But I'm just getting into this hobby and I've come across these and I have no clue as to whether they are any good or whether they even work. Any thoughts on how I should proceed or steps I should take? Or should I just buy them and hope for the best? 

Here is a photo of them: 

Thanks so much.  

thatguyyouknow

Showing 11 responses by dill

Buy them. If you only need 2, pick the best two and sell the other pair. Looks like there are 2 different types. That is cheap for 4 quality speakers.

If you want to seriously get into this hobby, you will quickly find out that $370.00 for 4 speakers is peanuts. Knowing the pedigree of these, it would be worth the chance and I certainly would pick them up unheard. Looks like it is a quality estate sale and they look in great physical condition. Heck, most here pay more than that for a pair of interconnects. I would add, be certain all 4 are indeed Fuselier speakers.

"I assume the craftsmanship of the enclosure is probably the most important part of this, right?"

Not really, the drivers, the crossover and the enclosure are all equally important as they work as a unit. The drivers can be replaced or serviced as can the crossovers if needed. Don't worry about that, just buy the da*n speakers and be done with it. Then we can move on to what you will power them with. You have to start somewhere, we all did.

Well, since he already purchased them the point is moot. He now has 4 speakers we have only seen the woofer of one. He should replace all the surrounds or have that done. Once done they can be tested. Now, he is new in this hobby so he has to start somewhere and I think learning about speakers and how they work is a good first step. We all started somewhere, next will be some type of amplification and a source. Once all are tested, I will assume he might only want one pair and would be free to sell the other pair and might wind up with a good pair of speakers at a relatively small cost.

Please provide your budget range as integrated amps, new & used can price out from $150.00 - $15,000.00.

If you don't listen to radio, you don't need a receiver. An integrated amplifier will work just fine. What is your source? CD player, turntable, tape deck, streaming?

The Denon DRA-685 is not what you need unless you are going multi channel. You might have to spend more than $100.00. Look for an Onkyo, Kenwood or Marantz unit to get you started. Speakers look great BTW.

Yes, mesch has a good question. Make sure the level controls, on the rear of the Rotel flanking the RCA plugs are turned up all the way.

I assume you have the Rotel hooked up to the pre-out RCA jacks on the rear of the Kenwood. Have you switched from normal to separate?