Esoteric MG 10 vs Magnepan 1.7

Has anyone had a chance to listen to these two speakers and form any opinions about their sonic qualities as they relate to each other. There is a substantial price difference and what do you think is the best bang for the buck.
jgrossberg
I didn't realize my question would become so personal in your responses. Maybe we should forget the Magnepan vs MG 10 speakers and consider the Merlins as a possibility. While you guys are duking it out maybe someone can whey in on this debate. Having said the above I think the Audes Blues are really good speakers but probably my wired 4 sound amp is not the right or best choice. For right now I would like to keep the Wyred 4 sound and pair it with a different speaker since I am giving the Audes to my son.

Guys can we start over and give me your best advice.
I'm the one that started it. I apologize if the thread took a bad turn because I worded my post in an aggressive manner. I don't take back the content of what I said. I still feel its true but I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully. I'm very picky when it comes to giving advice and recommendations. Too many new people give up on this hobby because they become frustrated and can't figure it out. I feel its very important to put comments in context. Theres a big difference between owning a speaker, not owning it but hearing it and reading about it. Information like that is valuable and relevant; especially to a beginner.

As far as the Merlins go, I haven't heard them. I can tell you though, a lot of people really like the them. I can't recall any negative comments about them at all. Given that, I think they are worth looking into.
It is fascinating that the Merlin speakers elicit such good responses, as I have never heard anything bad about them. I have a pair of Celestion SL6si speakers but sadly one of the woofers have separated from the surrounds and the repair never brought them back to original. They are very good sounding but not as good as the Esoterics as far as monitors go. This may give you a clue as to the sound I am looking for but can't afford. My favorite speakers I heard at the Rocky Mountain Audio Show was a set of beautiful Acapellas. It is the accuracy and spatial fullness with those speakers that I am not getting with the Audes. That is why I am saying I want what I can't afford.You are right in that I consider myself and am a novice at this hobby but before I am looking down rather than up I would like to try some new speakers.
As with all Maggie's, you will need room behind them and an amp with plenty of current to do them justice. Also, controlling reflections (room treatment) makes an enormous difference.

If you can set up them up properly, your room allows for some treatment and you have a good amp, then they can sound absolutely magical.

The Esoteric's are very different speakers... and much more flexible with placement.
If you like the Merlins, you will probably not like the Vandersteens. Polar opposites sonically.

Shakey