Equipment does not match

II have a pair of Burmester B25 speakers paired with a Audio Research SP17 tube amp and Rotel RB 1080 power amp. I play music thru my Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6
I don't seem to be getting the sound I envisioned can anyone suggest if any of the devices are not a good match thanks
dereck
Mapman beat me to it :-) I was composing the following when he submitted the preceding post:

As many of the responses make clear there are numerous possibilities, and chances are that there are multiple factors contributing to the less than optimal sound. However, my instinct is that the two factors that are likely to be the most major contributors are referred to in this excerpt from one of your posts:
I have a marble floor and no rugs. Speakers are placed abt 5-7 inches away from the wall but the left speaker is just next to the open passage at the entrance.
While there are some notable exceptions, the performance of the majority of high end speakers will be severely compromised by close to the wall placement. I see in Stereophile's review of the B25 that they placed the speakers five feet from the wall behind them.

I would urge you to try, at least as an experiment, moving the speakers several feet out from the wall. And then listening from a variety of distances. (The position of the listener relative to all four of the walls in the room can make a significant difference, as well as the distance from the listener to the speakers).

And do consider putting a thick rug on that marble floor!

Good luck,
-- Al
WOW: Where to start....

First have you ever heard the Burmister 25 speakers sound the way you invasion?

Second: Any first rate speaker needs the utmost attention to placement. Away from the rear wall away from the side walls. Six feet to eight +- feet apart. An appropriate sized listening room, not to big not to small.

Once you are sure you have those issues dialed in and still not the sound you know your speakers are capable of. you can move on to cables, amplifier, source etc...

Get back with us........we are here to help......no dealer involve here I am guessing...

best
Jim
Thank you all for the very positive feedback, appreciate all your comments. i have already spent quite a bit on my audio kit so wanted to learn about options to improve sound without going in for more expensive kit.
I will try the following
1. move the speakers further away from the wall
2. get a couple of rugs placed in front of the speakers
3. acoustic panels
4. the final option is to upgrade my power amp (Rotel RB 1080)which seems to be the weakest link.
Yes, I think suggestions like Almarg's are very good ones. Pay attention to any post that Almarg makes. He is a superb resource whose responses never fail to impress and educate me.

And yes, if not the room and placement, I would look at that amp. Try to audition a number of amps, and find out what amps have worked well with your speakers from your dealer or other folks on audio forums.