Equalizers - Graphiic, Parametric & Channel Balance

I know this topic has a history on these forums but my question has more to do with channel balance than to their theory of operation. Primaily due to personal hearing deficiencies but also to deal with unfortunate room acoustics, I will be installing/keeping an EQ in my system, so the question of whether or not to do so has already been settled.

I began experimenting with a graphic EQ simply because it's operation seemed at least visibility like it would be more direct and simple to use. I was wrong in at least one respect; to get good results, it's not all that simple. Anyway, the overall results have been good. Based on recommendations found here on Audiogon as well as other sources, though, I decided to experiment with a borrowed parametric EQ which I found to have better control and, in some ways, at least as easy to use.

Anyway, I like the PEQ better except for one important issue; with it I have no channel balance control. This is important because of the room layout and because my hearing loss is not bilaterally equal. For reasons discussed in other forums I can't / won't use hearing aids and, for the present at least, I'm sticking with my Peactree Audio pre and power amps. So the question is whether there exists such a thing as a parametric equalizer that has this control? I suppose that one alternative might be to use one parametric EQ for each channel, and if that's what it takes, so be it. Any suggestions?

My sources are Shanling CD S-100 or Apple TV using lossless files and the speakers are Martin Logan Ethos.
128x128broadstone

Showing 6 responses by zd542

Go to Behringer's web site and look at the Ultracurve PRO DEQ2496. It has every feature imaginable. If you think an EQ may be the solution to your problem, this one will give you the best chance for success. I have one myself, and its not too difficult to use. You can download the manual at Behringer's web site.

If you want to explore more options, download Ubuntu Studio and run it live. Its full of all kinds of signal processors. There may be some apps that can be of use to you. Its a free distro, so there's no risk in trying it.
"The most recent experiment is with an old SAE parametric that I was messing with in my little garage system which does things that the DEQ's don't and I like it very much but, of course, the balance issue remains."

What features are you talking about? It has both graphic and parametric EQ's, with a bunch of memory and setup options form both. It's also digital, so you can run it through a standalone DAC. You can get the owners manual off the Behringer web site. I wouldn't buy a used one, though. Pro gear isn't like high end gear. If you buy something used, you never know how many people had the item before you, and what they did to it. Guitar Center sells them and they have a very good return policy if you don't like it.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx

That's a direct link to the EQ we're talking about. I think you can get one for around $300.
"In reading some of the descriptions of its operation I realize that there'll be a bit of acclimation involved but I'll get DEQ2496 and let you know how it works out."

It looks hard to use at first, but once you get used to the menus, it all makes sense.
"I'm very happy with the adjustments made so far but I will continue to experiment. Do you who are familiar with its operation suggest that I by the setup microphone?"

I never used the microphone, but given your issue, you're probably going to have to do everything by ear. As far as ease of use goes, the main thing is to focus on the menus. If you think about what's going on, everything seems to flow in an orderly direction. I'm somewhat of a minimalist, myself, so when I first started using my EQ, I thought it was going to be a nightmare. I hate having to figure out how to use complicated devices like that, but its really not too bad if you give it some time.

"Anyway, earlier in this thread I stated that I preferred the parametric EQ for control but liked the simplicity of the graphic units. How could it be any better, then, to have the capabilities of both; this thing is almost magical. I especially like the fact that along with the graph display there is also a numerical display presented in 0.5 dB increments."

I suspected as much. I started with the graphic myself, but experimented with the parametric and quickly found that I preferred it. Its a very powerful tool. You'll definitely want to learn how to save presets. They save so much time, and allow for such easy comparisons, that its probably the most useful feature the EQ has.

I may be getting ahead, but with this EQ being digital, it allows you to keep a high end sound without spending a lot of money. You don't have to use the built in dac. You can keep the signal digital and send it to a re-clocker or standalone dac. You shouldn't have to take much of a performance hit, if any, with options like this available.
That's some good info. I never really thought to use the mic. But I need to ask the important question. Are you to the point where you can enjoy listening to music? I emphasize the word enjoy, because that seems to be the goal in all this.