Equalizer in a Hi Fi system

Just curious to hear everyone’s opinions on using an equalizer in a high end hi fi system. Was at work tonight and killing time and came across a Schitt Loki max $1500 Equalizer with some very good reviews. What are some of the pros / Benefits and cons in using one. Just curious. BTW. I’m talking about a top of the line. Hi end equalizer. Mostly to calm some high frequencies and some bad recordings. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

“mere inclusion of an analog studio mixer ”

One more thing. It’s not a mixing EQ. It’s a broad Q MASTERING EQ

Oh, and Charter Oak PEQ-1 reviews from 2010 call it a “magic box”. Literally. Sounds a bit more serious when a studio engineer says this, huh?  And don’t call that arrogant. Am simply responding to you own condescension.  I know am asking for you to react. Wanted to say that earlier but forgot. Sorry. Posting these in between sets at the gym. (Couldn’t wait til home😆). Let’s call a truce, hopefully. 

Wait a minute I’m confused I thought that interconnects, power cords and speaker cables were tone controls? Now you guys have got me all confused! Why would change albums certain albums with sound better with certain power cords, so I wanted to listen to that album I would switch them to the ones that sounded better and then switch them back when I was done.

EQ is indispensable tool. However, plain analog one is hard to make, they all introduce phase errors. Try using pure digital, in digital path before your DAC. MiniDSP SHD accepts digital signals and can be Dirac or just PEQ. Avoid extra analog-digital transitions as much as possible.  

@tlcocks No, you will not damage anything. At worst you will hear lots of distortions of you raise eq level too high so tubes or transistors start clipping. This is another danger or EQ - if you raise some frequencies too much, your amp will produce more distortions in those bands.