Enthusiast's Review A/B Focal Sopra 2 and Electra 1028be (II)

I thought I would share my simple thoughts after listening to A/B of the Sopra 2 and the 1028be.

Room: 20x30 (not sure of ceiling height, but at least 15. It was a purpose-built listening room with normal treatment (primary side reflection, F corners, F center, ceiling was dropped-type with bass-trapping panels. I would say the room was still somewhat lively with an area rug over marble.
SETUP
About 10.5" apart, 10.2" to listening, 4.5 from sides, 6 from front wall.
GEAR
-The pre-amp and amp were both Boulder (amp = 600w/ch). Not sure of the models
-Turntable was Basis with a "slightly bass-heaving stylist." not sure of the model, but told it was about $60K all in.
-CD dCS
-Audiquest cables. Again not sure of the line. Told they were $13K

Music:
Vinyl- Jeff Buckley, Grace (Hallelujah; Lover, You Should’ve Come Over); Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms (Money for Nothing; Brothers in Arms)
CD- Dianna Krall (Temptation); Eva Cassidy (Fever); Cat Stevens, Tea for the Tillerman.

LISTENING
Believe it or not, I listed to just these few tracks, fiddling with toe in, for nearly 4 hours.

Full disclosure; I like the Focal sound. I prefer to have detail, image, and soundstage. I’m willing to give up being listening to poor recordings (for extended periods) to get/have the resolution and aforementioned attributes.

*Both speakers well broken in with over 200hours.

SOPRAs
More full range. More resolving - for better or worse. The bass seemed to extend a bit lower than the 1028s, which you would expect. The highs also seemed to be more forward and evident. With any amount of toe-in the highs were to forward and just too much. Anytime a simple or tambourine hit, it was not hitting on the soundstage, but directly from the tweeter. However, when set to almost zero toe in, the highs calmed down nicely and became more (still not fully) placed on the stage. I greatly preferred the lesser-zero toe-in. Still the speakers didn’t completely disappear. The surprising thing to me was that the imaging - the center weightiness of the vocals - didn’t suffer at little-to-zero toe in. The bass was extended, but a little bit fruity or full to me. It didn’t seem very natural. Overall, a great speaker, but I’ve heard much better at the 14k price tag. Mids and vocals, both male and female seemed very close, with the slight edge to the Sopras. Vocals sounded very natural to me. The speaker still carries the Focal sound.

1028BE (II)
Obviously not as full sounding. Very resolving, but not as critical as the Sopras. The bass seemed a bit more reserved, but snappier, more punchy, more natural and real - Especially on Dire Straits’ Money for Nothing. The 1028s seemed to be more forgiving on toe in, although I still set them to only a few degrees of toe in. They didn’t seem to beam as much on the treble and the speakers seemed to disappear a bit easier (as far as toe in/placement). As I said, the 1028s are not a full sounding, but somehow I didn’t feel like it was a lesser sound, just different, especially in the bass. To me, you give up a bit of resolution in the 1028s. I think the treble is just slightly less weighted, less prominent in the 1028s. To me, that was a good thing. Overall, the 1028s are fun. Perhaps less resolving and less critical, but fun-put-a-smile-on-your-face. There is still plenty of detail to listen critically and connect to the emotion from the artist.

Bottom line: I’d pay slightly more for the Sopras, but only very slightly. I’ll be buying the 1028s. If you have the 1028s, I don’t think the Sopras are worth the upgrade/money.

jo1mtb

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

I auditioned the 1038BE’s and the Sopra No2’s and selected the Sopra’s, have been enjoying them since Mid-September 2015.

My audition of the 1038BE’s was in a larger room (probably around 24x24) powered by a 450wpc amp. They knocked my socks off, how "big" they sounded, and the detail in the upper ranges.

My audition of the Sopra’s was in a smaller room (probably around 12x15, speakers on the short wall), powered by an 80wpc integrated. Though I think any of the Focal’s I’ve auditioned were well suited for a larger room, I felt that the detail in the midrange & highs was better with the Sopra’s, and I could locate individual instruments/voices in the sound stage better with the Sopra’s.

It took me a little bit to get the Sopra’s "dialed in" to my 24x26 "man cave", but minor changes in the positioning seemed to make significant changes to the soundstage and presentation of the midrange. Now that I have it "just right", the Sopra’s put a smile on my face.

I also auditioned the 1028BE’s, but the amp they used at that dealership made the tweeters sound grainy, and after just a few tracks, I was fatigued. I suspect this would have been the case with the Sopra’s as well.