Vandersteen Speakers 3A Signature
2 2W Vandersteen Subs
Border Patrol DAC
Bluesound
Cambridge Transport CXC
McCormick Deluxe DNA 0.5
Modwright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp with added phono preamp
Rega P3 table with Elys cartridge

I’m currently looking for and need ideas for enhancing my low frequencies with my current system.  I wish to have a “Phatter” sound stage.  My idea is to add a separate preamp with a remote control and power amplifier including two additional subs with crossover to compliment my current subs that are not as much bass as bass as I prefer.  I appreciate any thoughts & ideas that you may have.Thank you so much for your time & experience, Mike S. 
mjschwartzman
Mike, your story sounds very familiar until I acquired my first Digital Drive-18 subwoofer with remote control gain and six preset EQd adjustment settings from flat, reversed polarity to however you want your low end to sound at the push of a single button.

The issue is usually the content of the recording. There are many albums were the polarity changes from track to track. Having independent on the fly control of the frequencies below 200 Hz kills the set it and forget it way of subwoofer ownership. Unlike the separate preamplifier idea your making these adjustment from the listening position that you optimized the system in the first place. 

I sold the 18 and now have two DD Plus 12s. The flexibility and the room lock is a wonder.   
Do you have access to a decent laptop?  One that you could install software on, and one that has a good-quality USB port?

If so, I'd recommend you download REW (Room EQ Wizard), which you will find at: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/  I would also recommend that you purchase a calibrated microphone, I bought this one, I think it's available from Amazon: https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

Having that combination helped me position and tune my subwoofers, as well helped me position and install bass traps in my "man cave", which had terrible low frequency problems, adding a "single note" to the bass, regardless of what the source material contained.

Good luck!