Empyrean Headphones/Sennheiser HDVD 800 + 'what DAC'?

I have a great setup in my sound room w/ tube amp, DAC and speakers but looking to set something up in another room that is a bit more portable.  I already have the headphones & headphone amp listed above but looking for the right DAC.  Would a Dragonfly Red or Cobalt be a good fit, or some other compact DAC?  Opinions/Advice??

labelman

Showing 3 responses by soix

I used the Dragonfly Red for a while when I was getting started in HeadFi and still use it for when I’m on the move, but your system would benefit from a better DAC IMHO.   What are you using for a DAC now (if any), and what sound characteristics are you looking for and are most important to you?  

Are you planning on continuing to use the 800 as an amp/DAC and want another amp/DAC that is truly portable, or are you looking for a better DAC to feed the 800?

I'm thinking I need to get a DAC/headphone amp that better matches the Empyrean headphones.

Again I must ask the key question, what improvements are you looking for and what sound characteristics are most important to you?  Without this critical info it’s impossible to make a meaningful recommendation.