Emphasis on stereo but need a complete solution.

So I started trying to fix my stereo output from apple music and have ended up realizing I need to replace the middle of my system.  I only have two real sources of audio video, Firestick and a streaming music service.  

For tv/movies, I don’t care all that much.  Mostly watch baseball, nice if movie sound is decent. Only source is Firestick 4K

For stereo, I do care.  I want the Totems driven as well as possible.  Source Tidal, Qubuz, Apple???

I have a 30 year old NAD 2 channel 2100 amp- I could use for the Totems but willing to replace.

Also have Yamaha – RX-V375 Receiver which I could use for the surrounds.  I don't want it in the signal path to the mains (Totems)

So I care most about the DAC, Preamp, and 2 of the 5.1 channels of the amp(s)

Would rather have the amp(s) separate from the digital stuff.

I used to know audio but stopped paying much attention years ago and somewhat confused by the digital side.  I am a programmer but just don’t keep up with audio formats much.

Cost is definitely a factor.  Used stuff is ok with me and usually more cost effective.  Would like to stay under 3k-ish.

I think I’m breaking the problem down correctly but chime in if not.  Mainly just want to figure out how to break out the components.

What do I put in the middle where it says  ***(What goes here???  

Existing system:

Video source:FireStick 4k  ->  

TV:  4K HDMI Input ->  Sony 85" Class X90CL Series 4K  -> 4k HDMI output ->

***(What goes here???   Decode HDMI, Streams Tidal, preamp, amp) ->

Mains: Totem Winds for left/ right mains  - 80-250 watt, 4 ohms, 87 dB sensitivity, 24-21 khz +-3db

Surrounds: Energy center, rears  -No specs, decent, not very important to me

Active Sub (maybe removed if the Winds can handle the lows for movies, don’t need sub for music)

moverton99

I'm surprised the Hegel doesn't have a sub low level output.  Not sure I need it with the Totems but seems odd.

A LFE or sub output is a feature you’d find more on a home theater oriented product.  You should be able to use the Hegel’s variable line level output with your sub if desired.  

@soix "You should be able to use the Hegel’s variable line level output with your sub if desired."

Ah, I didn’t think of that. Although I’m not sure how I’d hook that up. I do need it for the movie stuff so my sub is hooked up to the Yamaha. It only has one RCA input. But maybe I can just move it to the Hegel and whatever low frequency is going to the fronts will go to the sub. I just hope the Yamaha can be set to not filter anything from the pre-outs.

I rarely used the surround setup in our HT because of the bother, so I installed a Sony HT A9 SW5.  Now immersive surround is always available.  What I didn't expect was how good the HT A9 SW5 setup would be for music.  The sources are eARC via an 85" Sony, discs via an Oppo 205, Roon via a Nucleus, all HDMI.

I could be happy with that as our only system, but I use a KEF LS60 with a pair of KC62 subs and an Ayre DX-5 DSD in the living room,  I kept an Ayre AX-7e integrated, C5xeMP disc player, and Thorens TD 124/SME III to use with KEF Reference 1s for nostalgia.  I plan to sell racks of Ayre gear, the Bryston SP3 processor, and maybe the 3 Velodyne HGS-15 subs.

The point is, with new technology it's no longer necessary to spend lots of money buying lots of components to achieve very good sound,