Emotiva xpa 1 monos

Any love here for xpa 1 monos?While I didn't hear a (big) difference between my Xpa 2 and my xpa 1 mono amps,I'm happy with the price to performance of these amps.I had a McIntosh mc 205 that I sold for upgrade money for better speakers. I replaced it with a Xpa 5 amp.While the McIntosh might have sounded a hair better in bass control it didn't sound 5 grand better! I think Emo xpa 1 's  are  good value!
corvette01

Showing 1 response by 213runnin

I've had moments like that as well, but such moments are in isolation from any real comparison.  Dealers sometimes depend on such "wow" moments to sell gear.

I had a 1st gen XAP amp and I thought it was amazing for the price.  But then over time, when swapping in other gear, I discovered weaknesses.  It might be better to not discover these, because if you're not careful you can get on a merry-go-round of continually upgrading.

But for me, sound quality is of utmost priority, and I have the budget to make improvements.  These XPA-3 amps sound great until you compare with better amps, and then you hear the inaccurate bass, the hot highs, the lack of complete imaging.  Not as critical with a home theater, but for music, not so much.  They are built to a price point, just like any other brand, and have compromises to reach those price points.