Emission Labs 300B vs Shuguang Black Treasure

Hi All,
I want to upgrade the 300B tubes on my Wavac EC-300B amp. At the moment I am still using the stock tubes which are a pair of standard Shuguang 300B-98. I did try out a Shuguang trasure tube some time back. It made for an over all richer sounding tones and slightly lower noise floor. However I am more intrigued by the emission Labs standard 300B solid plate tubes. They seem to be built better and claim to have lower distortion too. Can some one help me with the sonic signature of the Emission labs 300b vs Shuguang treasure ? I also thought of considering the Sophia Mesh or Carbon tubes but I am a bit skeptical about their reliability.
pani

Showing 6 responses by charles1dad

Pani,
The only negative thing I've heard about the KR tube is that certain batches/generations had early tube failure issues. Sonically it's said to be a very good sounding 300b. The EML as far as I know has no reliability issue and are priced a bit less than the KR tubes. In terms of sound quality I suspect that you'd like both.
Charles,
Pani I used the Shuguang BT for 2 1/2 years. It's a good tube but I find the EML(XLS) better across the board. It isn't embarrassed by the Takasuki in my amplifier. The Takatsuki is the best sounding 300b tube(sublime) I've ever heard, unfortunately it's also very expensive. I haven't heard the "vintage" type WE but did try the WE reissue version. The Takatsuki and EML were much better sounding in my system. The EML though not inexpensive offers high value for the premium sound quality it provides.
Charles,
Brf,
For a while the KR 300b was the tube of top choice for Isael Blume's Coincident Frankenstein SET amp. He loved the sound but he didn't receive factory support for early failing tubes and had to discontinue their use. I know there are people who are using the KR 300b without any problems, the problem has likely been addressed is my assumption. Probably many of the earlier year models are fine, the question is which vintage do you avoid.
Charles,
Rlowe ,
I used the Shuguang BT very happily for 2 1/2 years, supposedly the Psvane Black glass is a bit better. I can tell you that with my amp the EML XLS is the better sounding 300b. It's worth the cost IMO, keep in mind that these are high quality long lasting tubes. You'll get your money's worth.
Charles,
Hi Jetrepro,
You certainly won't have any problem with your transformers . However everything I've read concerning the EML XLS says it's a drop in replacement for any 300b tube. It definitely worked out that way for me.
Charles,
Rlowe,
It's hard to say, I used the Shuguang BT heavily for 2 1/2 years prior to getting the Takatsuki 1 1/2 years ago. The BTs are still very usable presently. I have the AVVT 32b (300b) which the Manufacturer said is a 40, 000 hour tube! I also have the EML XLS which shares a similar design and pedigree so who really knows?
Charles,