Electronic crossover recommendations

I need some help finding the best electronic crossover. I am looking to experiment with going active to a few different speakers. I am going to use it on commercial speakers, and some DIY speakers. I need it to be able to be used on ANY 2 or 3 way speaker. Flexibility is really important. I am really looking for only top notch ones. I keep hearing that active is the way to go, so I thought I would give it a try. If you have used one or know of one, I would appreciate it if you can drop a line or two about it. thanks
souljasmooth

Showing 1 response by 1953

I used to be a Marchand-aholic. Had three of them in various configurations at one time or another. However, you guys really NEED to check out the latest crop of digital speaker management devices from some of the pro audio guys. One of the best kept secrets in the high end. I'm using the DBX Drive Rack PA and would part with it only after my decomposed, turning to dust, dead hands could no longer hang onto it.

For $495, discounted you get a user selectable 2 or three way electronic x-over with independant adjustments of crossover frequency (and thus overlap), slope (6, 12, 18, 24 DB per octave), filter type, level, time delay, and parametric eq for EACH BANDPASS (!!). Not only that, but you can use an "auto EQ" function to independantly adjust each channel to flat or some other target curve at the listening seat....A poor mans TACT. On a comparison basis with the settings identical to my Marchands, I could detect little if any difference. The icing on the cake however is that using the auto EQ function for my prefered target curve, I'm hearing stuff I've NEVER heard before.

High end is fun once again.

Jeff